Lest we forget

And on this occasion, once again, Perry, what is your belief based on? We have had similar discussions in the past about this and while we all have intuitive guesses they usually register, as Maynard Keynes often said, either our preconceptions or the views of a past scribbler, as he put it. Conservatives want to believe low figures and radicals want to believe high figures. Lets say you are right. Do you think 'less than ten thousand' murders is morally deplorable maybe or just one of those things?

I have read many articles on this topic and I do not believe in the figure of 30.000. Saying that 10,000 people is a terrible human rights crime and those who were responsible for these human rights crime should be severely punished as the law entails .

I have read many articles on this topic and I do not believe in the figure of 30.000. Saying that 10,000 people is a terrible human rights crime and those who were responsible for these human rights crime should be severely punished as the law entails .
I agree with you completely on the need for justice.

Sorry about the mess up in my former post.

First of all, if we are going to be accurate, we have to admit that the real number of disappeared and killed by the last military junta is not 30,000, but closer to 9,000, as reported by Graciela Fernandez Meijide in the newspaper El Pais from Spain. Various reports have come up with a similar number, even though it it not the number used here for symbolic purposes.

So you realize that you use the 3rd standard argument of negativism of the genocide, right?

Videla asserted that he killed 9.000 people BUT Argentina was divided in 3 areas belonging each of them to the Army, Navy and Air Force. All of them were 100% independent and they didn't share information with the other 2. So, if we believe a genocidal for 1 second, he has info only about the Army and he is clueless about the other 2 forces.

Meijide asserted that the documented cases were 8000. It doesn't´t mean that they killed only 8000. There were entire families that were killed with nobody to report. The same happened with foreigner about whom there is no info at all. The third reason that is being judged recently is that rape was an strategy of terror and humiliation and this explains why so many cases were not reported. And I didn't read it in a google search.

A group called Vision Liberal that advocates for victims of terrorist groups like Montoneros, ERP and like groups has documented 17,380 people attacked, 1094 killed, 2368 wounded and 756 kidnapped by these groups. And not all those victims were govt officials or police, as if that justified those acts of violence against them.

Yes. And it was legal in most of the cases. Read article 36 of the National Constitution.
However, it is prescribed. The crimes committed by them are expired.

One of the paradigmatic cases was the murdered of Rucci, a Union Leader where his sister is litigating in order to open the case against him.
The problem is that he is suspected to belong to the AAA that was an extermination para military group. If this is true, it was an act of heroism to kill him. However, it makes no sense for the justice to investigate it as soon as it is prescribed.

Kirchner had the option of having the congress (which he controlled) create laws which would have nullified the commutation of sentences of terrorists like Firmenich and allowed for the prosecution of those not yet tried, but he chose not to.
There was not such law. According to the International Law, the amnesty about genocide is invalid. What NK did was to enforce it.
As far as your lack of information is alarming, I enlighten you. There were every day bombs or fake alarm bombs at schools, union leaders homes and human right activists. This is how the local terrorist who belonged to the State archive an amnesty but, more important, to stop the investigations. At my school there were several bomb alarms when I was a child.

He also chose to give a pension/compensation only to the victims of state-sponsored terrorists, not the victims of armed revolutionary groups. There is no official recognition of those victims in any way that I know of. That Montoneros et al killed only 1000 and not 9000 does not render them guiltless

The members of a coup have no right to compensation because it is legal to kill them.

Again, your level of lack of information is maddening.

Back