Let S Talk About Cultural Differences....!

Coming from Seattle, I've noticed how interdependent people are here in contrast with the states, where people are, generally speaking, more autonomous. Family members communicate with each other every day if they don't outright see each other in person. Everyone in the community serves a purpose, like they repair shoes or they have a kiosko or they build fences. There isn't much awareness of the wider world beyond what's on TV and whether the lights are on.

Because it induces vomiting?
As much as I hated it, fernet was introduced to me by my mom when I was very young and I used to have stomach aches. I used to think it was horrible drink but my stomach aches were soon gone.

The kissing! I don't know when this took off, but thirty years ago (in my memory) in BA men and women exchanged kisses only with the opposite sex and only as friends or lovers. These days I am invariably kissed by both men and women I have never met before and will never meet again simply on the basis of an introduction by a third party. By this measure, the culture of the USA is of course stone cold and I suppose the worse for it. I am still adjusting....

Even if it doesn't taste too nice, I can assure you that if you drink it straight it will cure any tummy aches that you may have.

Kids love Fernet because its 49 proof and the whole gang can get shit faced with one bottle. Before they go to the Boliche , they mix a bottle of cheap local Fernet with 2 of coke, and voila party time....!:rolleyes:

The kissing! I don't know when this took off, but thirty years ago (in my memory) in BA men and women exchanged kisses only with the opposite sex and only as friends or lovers. These days I am invariably kissed by both men and women I have never met before and will never meet again simply on the basis of an introduction by a third party. By this measure, the culture of the USA is of course stone cold and I suppose the worse for it. I am still adjusting....
I strongly agree with that. A long time ago the kissing used to used with people you knew or you were being introduced to. Nowadays, it feels extremely strange to have my new neighbours giving me a kiss when I came across them or even people who come home to provide a service.

Coming from Seattle, I've noticed how interdependent people are here in contrast with the states, where people are, generally speaking, more autonomous. Family members communicate with each other every day if they don't outright see each other in person.

In Seattle in the 1970s and 80s, the worst you had to contend with was the founding of the Starbucks Corporation, the rise of Microsoft and the continuing dominance of Boeing in the international aviation market. Over here, people were disappearing off the streets in their thousands and many were never seen again. The practise of seeing family members or phoning them once, twice, several times a day to make sure they were still alive grew up then but the habit will probably take many more years before it goes away.

Everyone in the community serves a purpose...

...and you've just touched on one of the things I really love about this society

Another cultural difference I barely note any more but that shocked a recent visitor from the US: Children of all ages from babies through teens out with parents and extended family in restaurants and corner bars until all hours of the night. Our friend from the States was appalled that two- and three-year-olds would be running around the tables at midnight in a crowded local bar. "Aren't there laws?" she asked. Just families being families we assured her.

Sojourner - .....Children of all ages from babies through teens out with parents and extended family in restaurants and corner bars until all hours of the night. Our friend from the States was appalled that two- and three-year-olds would be running around the tables at midnight in a crowded local bar. "Aren't there laws?" she asked.

That I am aware, there is no local ordinance governing such a situation. Except the one that regulates the sell of alcohol to minors.

Just families being families we assured her.....
I do not patronize any cafes, bars or restaurants where small children are allowed to run amok at any time of the day or night. When it happens in my presence, I let the owner or manager know that it is not tolerable behavior. Then I simply walk out......

As much as I hated it, fernet was introduced to me by my mom when I was very young and I used to have stomach aches. I used to think it was horrible drink but my stomach aches were soon gone.

Back