Lets be positive people

[

On the other hand, here they grow up playing with their cousins and being pampered by hordes of aunts and uncles.

This sounds like Ireland to me, with the kids still playing in the gardens and streets and massive family dinners...but then I remember the weather and I agree that gives a whole new meaning to quality of life here, especially for those lucky enough to live in the burbs or further.

Well, actually I live with my boyfriend we have a pretty serious relationship, bought furniture and everything. and actually, i have a baby of 7 weeks. so i have thought all about his future here and frankly i like the idea that he gets to grow up with two languages in a multicultural city. i will admit however, i do sometimes worry about our financial situation, i think though, if we can make this work we will be here long term.

syngirl said:
I think that's great that you're so positive, but as someone else said there is a difference between being here 1 year and living here for 5 years +. It's not longer culture shock, it's just plain old life.

Those of us on the board who have been here for 5 years plus are probably in a bit of a different phase of our lives, and our perspectives on Buenos Aires are probably being shaped by different considerations.

When I came down here I was single, under-30, and had no intentions of staying beyond a few months. 5 years later I'm married to a local and contemplating having kids, and now my considerations for staying or leaving encompass not just my own, but also my husband's future, and that of our kids, should we have any.

It's one thing to grow up in Europe / North America and then choose to come here on your own as an adult having received the education and benefits of having grown up elsewhere; it's another thing to impose your choice to stay in Argentina on a child and deal with the concern that maybe, possibly, you're closing some doors to opportunities on them.

So I really like it here, I had a great weekend last weekend, the weather was fantastic, I went for a really nice bike ride all up and down the river from Olivos back to the airport, and I could list all the free activities I enjoy, but at the end of the day a walk in park, a free concert, and a coffee outside on the plaza, doesn't necessarily address the larger concerns that I know I have when it comes to deciding whether or not to raise a family here. I think that they are very common concerns that many expat/Argentine couples and families face after having been here for a good stretch.

I think there is a lot of negativity on this forum because I think its one of the only places that an ex pat can really vent. I can't tell my Argentine fiance or his family anything critical about Argentina, while they can say whatever they want.. And you know what, I am the same way with the US. I think I've even defended Bush and Nascar a time or two since I got here... ha ha. Its just... natural to be defensive of your own country when speaking with foreigners. And as I spent the first 22 years of my life in the US, I will always be a foreigner in Argentina. It gets really frustrating sometimes because I often experience a lot of the same difficulties here (and often more) that an Argentine does but I don't have the right to complain. I've been here over 2 years now and my opinion of Argentina is basically... bipolar. I think the biggest frustration in my case is that it is so hard to assimilate sometimes.. I don't want to fake being an Argentine but I want my life on track as it would have been in the US... I'd like to have a decent job (not high paying but one where I am learning and that has a future), start studying again (despite being a college grad from a top school in the US, I have to take the high school equivalency exam...), and have a few friends that are truly friends. I miss all that. But enough of negativity... here's a few things I love:

1. Being able to walk my dog for hours through city streets and parks
2. The lighting in the city when its overcast
3. Being able to order ice cream for delivery at mid night
4. Taking the linea A when its almost empty
5. The empanadas and vino patero at Feria de Mataderos
6. Asados at my fiance's father's house
7. Having a huge protective loving family (in law) that all live locally (something that never happens in the US)
8. Riding my bike on Sunday
9. Going to Parque Sarmiento with the pup on the weekend
10. Weekend getaways to the hot springs in Uruguay
11. Watching Cronica when I'm sick or depressed (b/c its ridiculous)
12. my suegro's locro
13. and many many more!

I 've found that thread really interesting! I am an argentinian who for the last 10 years felt that couldn't fit in , in my own home town...things are far easier somewhere else..being my only experience the Uk...
I'm back here for family reasons and still find this city hard to cope with...:)

Back