Life in Buenos Aires and something that I don't seem to understand

Nicole_Ramirez said:
I don't think of it as hating it here. People need to be able to vent or they'll go crazy.

Yup, and this forum is the perfect place to vent.

allcraz said:
Oh, [sigh], HYT....

Ironically, I met HYT at an expat lunch I organized after she posted this (in the Expats not appy why stay? thread):

HotYogaTeacher said:
It's funny Stevo. I usually don't mind answering that question, and the answer is no secret amongst my friends, but truthfully, your posts are always so harsh and judgmental that I don't want to answer it for you. Perhaps someday when we are at a party together and I can see your warm smile, your caring concern, your curious wonderment, I will tell you the fascinating story of how I came to live in Buenos Aires.
Peace Brother Expat....

We actually had a very pleasant conversation.:)

steveinbsas said:
Those who aren't familiar with this saga should know how it ended.

A real estate agent I know recently posted thet HYT finally sold her property for $200K...a far cry from the original asking price of $300K and $10K less than invested.
I am familiar with this thread except who is HYT. Are you refering to Soulskier.
Sounds like a lousy realestate agent. I hope it wasn't Soul that got so screwed on the ski lodge business.
Scratch the question. Now I know.

I agree with my fellow posters that it is nice to have a place to vent to others who understand. Even if you see certain posters who seem negative all the time, I would imagine that if you met them in person they'd be quite pleasant. This is the internet. It's not the real world. While we may whine and moan on here, we certainly don't spend 24 hours a day hating everything about our lives--at least I hope not!

And while I usually don't argue semantics with the term "expat," in my opinion if someone can pack up their bags and leave just like that, that person was more of a tourist than someone who was living here--and good for those people! The first time I came to BA was as a tourist, for five weeks. I had a blast, and then I went home. But for many it's just not that simple. Most of us have jobs, homes (owned, rented or otherwise) and responsibilities here. Some even have families and businesses.

And while I think Buenos Aires is a magnificent, fascinating place to visit or spend some time studying Spanish, after two years I now know that it is not the place for me to live and work for the rest of my life. So, I AM leaving. But I have to wrap up a couple things first. And it has absolutely nothing to do with not being able to cut it, not being able to adapt, or any of those other accusations people like to throw around to feel superior. It is just not for me. I really wanted it to be, but I finally had to accept the truth. I'm not happy in BA anymore. Period.

ghost said:
I am familiar with this thread except who is HYT. Are you refering to Soulskier.
Sounds like a lousy realestate agent. I hope it wasn't Soul that got so screwed on the ski lodge business.

HYT= HotYogaTeacher. She and her boyfriend bought an apartment on Rividavia within a few weeks of moving to BA. It was on the top foor with a great view, but the area isn't very desirable for expats (as she soon discovered).

I believe the purchase price was U$D 120K and that they spent U$D 90K to renovate. It wasn't even a "one bedroom" apartment (no door to the sleeping area).

I think the initial asking price was over U$D300K.

Perry turned down the listing and made this observation in another thread:

perry said:
Its true that many properties are outrageously priced in Buenos Aires and there is no sense of proper pricing anymore for factors that include location, light, condition, the state of the building and history .

Too many realtors in Buenos Aires overvalue properties just to get the listing giving many sellers false expectations and in the meantime burning the property for sale .

There was a classic story of an expat that advertised a property at the starting price of US$ 300,000 on Rividavia and Junin in the zona of Balvanera .This property had only 90 metres covered and a terrace of 60 metres . The views were magnificient from this 24th floor . She wanted me to list this with Remax and I refused due to her non understanding of market values. In the end it took her over 2 years to sell it and she sold for just on US $ 200,000 what was the true market value in 2011 .

All my listings are market value and correctly priced . I do not have properties that are not in excellent conditions and there is not one that is over US $ 2500 per metre in any neighbourhood including Recoleta . Puerto Madero is dearer but I do not believe that it is worth the price per metre . Many of the new constructions there are of poor quality and with small rooms .

Recoleta and Palermo Nuevo are much more attractive neighbourhoods and are protected from their lack of supply.

The right time to buy is when you find a property that fullfills your expectations, and is priced correctly for market conditions.

I fully believe though that keeping US dolllars for the future is very risky and there is more risk of a devaluation of the dollar than of the property . A property title is safer than fiat currency!!

JWB said:
I am one of the few that actually split my time between the states and Argentina so when I get to my boiling point here, I jump on a plane and fly back to the states.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

El Duderino said:
If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

I am an International Recruiter and own a recruitment outsourcing company :).

Expats talk about their complaints like old army men talk about their scars from war wounds. It is a camaraderie thing.

Lucas said:

Your stupidity stuns me. So, I'll elaborate...

I have been in business for 10 years. All of my customers are global fortune companies which include, HP, Apple, EMC, Levi, Seagate, Tyco, Yahoo, Symantec, SAP, and others. I have employees in 6 countries. I've opened offices in Argentina, Uruguay, Singapore, and Spain. I pay my taxes.

You?

Back