Life in Buenos Aires and something that I don't seem to understand

JWB said:
Your stupidity stuns me. So, I'll elaborate...

I have been in business for 10 years. All of my customers are global fortune companies which include, HP, Apple, EMC, Levi, Seagate, Tyco, Yahoo, Symantec, SAP, and others. I have employees in 6 countries. I've opened offices in Argentina, Uruguay, Singapore, and Spain. I pay my taxes.

You?

Do you think that Lucas was implying that the theme of the film It's A Free World applied to you?

I can't make the connection, so please elaborate (both of you).

steveinbsas said:
HYT= HotYogaTeacher. She and her boyfriend bought an apartment on Rividavia within a few weeks of moving to BA. It was on the top foor with a great view, but the area isn't very desirable for expats (as she soon discovered).

I believe the purchase price was U$D 120K and that they spent U$D 90K to renovate. It wasn't even a "one bedroom" apartment (no door to the sleeping area).

I think the initial asking price was over U$D300K.

Perry turned down the listing and made this observation in another thread:

She spent $120k on a monoambiente on Rivadavia/Junin? Ni en pedo!!!!!

steveinbsas said:
Do you think that Lucas was implying that the theme of the film It's A Free World applied to you?

I can't make the connection, so please elaborate (both of you).

Yes. Any chance he can get to stab a capitalist.

bradlyhale said:
She spent $120k on a monoambiente on Rivadavia/Junin? Ni en pedo!!!!!

Actually (if you include the cost of the remodeling) she spent $210K.

Now, imagine anyone buying it for $200K this year, but it looks like someone did.:eek:

I bought a recently remodeled apartment in Recoleta in 2006. The purchase price was less per square meter than HYT spend remodeling her apartment (she said there were lots of "do-overs"). I sold it in 2009, accepting the first offer. The monthly expenses had more than doubled in three years and, after factoring in the costs of buying, selling, and buying again I did not quite break even, but I didn't pay rent, either.

I then bought a PH with virtually no (consorcio) expenses in Nunez, but I sold it one year later and fled Capital Federal after finding a house (and happiness) in the country...but still close to the coast. I found my present home on line on a Sunday afternoon. I listed my PH with Perry on Monday and he also submitted my offer to buy the house the next day. Once again, I accepted the first offer.

Money may not buy happiness (an old cliche), but it can buy land where happiness is possible (and far more probable), especially if you like fresh air, an ocean of blue skies, and a sea of tranquility.

There are some properties that sell for emotional value and sell over market prices. Buenos Aires is a difficult real estate market with a lot of badly renovated properties or properties with few redeeming features.

I have sold a lot of properties in the Congreso neighbourhood as the stock of housing there is of high quality with some of Buenos Aires best architecture. Many years ago I nearly sold a incredible dome property on Rivadavia 2009 to John Malkovich the actor but I was scared off selling this to him by a local mafia. They ended up buying the property for nearly half the market price. This is not a rare occurence for those unfortunate people who have consorcion debts or need to sell quickly

Anyone else find it a little tacky to discuss HYT and what she paid for her property and what it sold for (which really isn't anyone's business)? The apt was stunning, I think they were happy there and happier to leave. Punto.

As for the rest, many people vent here b/c they can't vent to their Argentine family and friends - or have the manners not to do so.

There is truth in the observation that if people are genuinely unhappy, they should leave. Most will in the end, (even the ones that were happy in the beginning).

Agree with you city girl. And i apoligize for continuing the discussion. It is tacky. Wish i could delete my posts. Was just trying to make the point that housing prices are basically flat these days. Thank you for pointing this out.

slater said:
Curious--Is the land next to you still for sale?

The single lot (24m x 54m) closest to my house has been reserved. The double lot (48m x 54m) is still availble.

Back