Life in USA vs. Argentina

Perhaps the best way to achieve this goal (at least in the USA) is to encourage every law-abiding individual to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms, but I do not believe it should be accomplished with government subsidies of any kind or any laws which actually require Americans to purchase firearms.
emo32.gif

Exactly! That's why we see such inspiring examples of US citizens exercising their "Second Amendment rights:" http://www.nytimes.c...texas.html?_r=0

And they should be able to exercise those rights with the help of their bitcoins!

Ceviche: All that is very true.However,in Argentina you also need a lot more patience and time than in the U.S.A. and Chile.4 times more.As many of us already know.Please see in today's; La Nacion; El Sueño del Negocio Propio........Also,a word of advice from the number one start- up nation itself,Israel."Receta Israeli;Como replicar las virtudes del modelo en la Argentina" where he speaks about Entrepreneurship (Emprendedorismo).He says that Argentines are "sitting on top of a gold mine".Something already well known.I,in spite of Noami Klein,would be happy to see them begin to exploit it for their own benefit.

And are held responsible when they do so: the cop in question went to prison. BART is primarily a transit system and, as such, it works extremely well.

No it doesn't. I assume you don't actually take BART much. I've spent way too much time stuck in a BART station because of fire, mechanical failure, etc. Not to mention the occasional Argentina-style strike that closes the system for days.

BART could be the best local/regional transportation system on the planet and it may have it's own government, but that was not the subject of this thread.

Former SF mayor Willie Brown tried to make this claim. He was quickly asked about cities like London, Paris, etc. I think he stopped making that preposterous claim soon after.

A lot of expats here live on dollars they brought from the US or on income that comes from the US. After the devaluation there was something of an expat invasion. Argentina suddenly became cheap and many Americans and some Europeans came here to take advantage. Though prices have increased considerably, Buenos Aires remains moderately inexpensive (at least for some items) for foreigners with incomes in dollars. For this group, Argentina is a fun place to be. Different lifestyle, different language, different experience. For those who have to make a living on the local economy, it can be quite a challenge and not nearly so much fun. I very much doubt that many of the former group of expats with dollars could cope with life entirely on the local economy - at least for more than a short period. They will not stay for the long haul. As for the comment that life in the US is boring, I can only say that the writer must have lived in a boring place. Life in New York or any number of other major cities in the US can be exciting, full of opportunities and cultural possibilities. Life in a small town might be dull but the same can be said for small town life in Argentina.

I wrote this in 2008. A LOT has changed - for the worse. My comment that not many expats could cope with making a living on the local economy has been proven right. Since 2008 a large % of expats has departed. Many have sold their property. You really need income in dollars or another hard currency if you want to stay on indefinitely.

No it doesn't. I assume you don't actually take BART much. I've spent way too much time stuck in a BART station because of fire, mechanical failure, etc. Not to mention the occasional Argentina-style strike that closes the system for days.

I ride BART regularly. It's not fair to compare it with the Subte because BART is a regional transportation system - the suburban trains to Buenos Aires province would be a fairer comparison in which BART is light years ahead. And, while BART has infrequent if sometimes contentious strikes, its employees don't sabotage the system.

My Argentine Wife and I moved back to Los Angeles from BA at the beginning of the year. I'm not going to speak on financial differences because LA is very expensive and house prices are ridiculous. I will say that the quality of life and convenience is much better than in Buenos Aires.I really became disillusioned with the rat race,the hipocritical politics of the US,the barrage of marketing and materialism. I wanted so bad to find a permanent home in Buenos Aires and proudly say "I never looked back" but there were too many things I couldn't ignore.
I won't argue that the US isn't declining also, but Argentina is descending much quicker.

Back