Life in USA vs. Argentina

I like the original question, and would like to see more replies. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems that in Argentina, I enjoy the daily rituals of life more than in the U.S., where it is all too easy to feel constant pressure to spend all day ACHIEVING, or at least catching up?

I moved back to the US in Oct. 2014 after living in Argentina for over 7 years. While I do miss things about Argentina, in the months I have been back I've achieved things that take people years to do in Argentina. I have a full time job, leased car, apartment, etc. I will never forget the wonderful times I had living there, but I would never trade the quality of life I have here for Argentina ever again. And the variety of foods available in the US can't be beat, as well as clothing, electronics, home furnishings, etc.

In some ways Argentina reminds me to both Quebec and the Cajun countryn (mind you I've barely visited those places)
Or Texas but the other way around. Do you get what I'm saying?

In answer to Redbeanz:

The general lifestyle in Argentina appeals to us. Being in touch with the city, having contact with other people, not spending your life in a car. The places you have those luxuries in the US are generally too expensive to live (NYC, San Francisco...).

In BAires, we talk to people on our street - familiar neighbors, porteros, shopkeepers, etc. Our home in Houston is in a community of about 30 townhouses, and we know two of our neighbors - most run away when you try to be friendly.

The availability of "stuff" in the US is great, but I prefer a slower, cafe lifestyle. Would I prefer Paris? Sure, but BAires is one-quarter the cost, and my French is pretty bad.

In some ways Argentina reminds me to both Quebec and the Cajun countryn (mind you I've barely visited those places)
Or Texas but the other way around. Do you get what I'm saying?

Being from Louisiana, I do see the similarity in the "enjoy the moment" way of life. (I don't know about Quebec or Texas.) In New Orleans, the weekend begins at lunchtime on Thursdays. Hmmmm. Maybe this is why I like the pace of life in Buenos Aires so much. After spending too many years on the gerbil wheel, with Fridays turning into Mondays -- no letup on weekends, no end to the workload, anywhere in sight -- I have come to value things like a leisurely walk to buy fish at the market or vegetables on the corner, rather than the more hectic U.S. style of grocery shopping (We avoid the maddening lines in Coto, Disco, Carrefour, etc until absolutely necessary.).

One of the many joys of life in Buenos Aires is the craftsmen in the city. So easy to find someone for clothing alterations, upholstery, luggage repair -- these are lost arts in so many northamerican cities and towns.

One of the many joys of life in Buenos Aires is the craftsmen in the city. So easy to find someone for clothing alterations, upholstery, luggage repair -- these are lost arts in so many northamerican cities and towns.

Yes, with all its difficulties, I find the things you just described as some sort of an ark of mid 20th century "Western" Civilization. Perhaps an ark of something that never existed except in our minds.
Truman Capote got Buenos Aires almost right in Breakfast..

Back