Line A: Renovation!

Just so that you know, there are a large number of people who don't believe these cars are a piece of crap. As others have said, they are classy and elegant. And given the amount of time they've been running (100 years in December 2013), their performance has been astounding, with relatively little repairs needed through all these years. Putting them in perspective, newer cars can't stand so much time running... they'll be trash in much less than 100 years, and not because people just decide it.

I love those old La Brugeoise train cars (that's the original Belgian manufacturer) and I have used them regularly almost since I was born, and I'm 36. And I know many people in the same situation, especially people from the neighborhoods Line A passes through, like Caballito.

Just so YOU know, I don't give a sh*t what others think. Its fine if there are others who think these pieces of crap, oh I'm sorry, these ROLLING pieces of crap are worth keeping on the tracks, I don't. Deal with it. I don't know why the hell everyone here thinks it their right to be a parent figure to others.

As for the newer trains being trash earlier than a 100 years, I hope that's the case. Who in their right mind thinks, "Let me put some trains that will run for a 100 years in a country where maintenance is neglected on a regular basis"? People here think mentioning San Francisco is some how going to make people go, "Ah yes, if they can do it, why can't we!!" Well its simple really, and again I don't care if it hurts your feelings, Argentina sucks when it comes to maintenance. Would I trust the government here (both national and city) and the thugs in the unions and the idiots running the trains with my life just because some people here want to see pieces of crap rolling? No thank you.

If I was the one in charge, I would actually keep the old trains because then I would know for sure that the trains would only run if they were safe. Again, trust the Argentine government? Not going to happen.

Oh and I live in Almagro on line A. I think the trains are pieces of crap and many people I know who use it everyday think these trains are not only rolling pieces of crap but also a fire hazard just because they're running. Hey, see how that works out? Difference of opinion!

Well, on the whole, I agree that there has to be a time when renovation is needed, and these cars have their dangers. What I don't agree is with this attitude of rejecting the old trains so vehemently without even acknowledging all the advantages that they have.

You disagree with rejecting the old trains without acknowledging the advantage they have? Alright, I know. I'm sorry. They are very advantageous when you're cold at night and need to make a fire. Happy?

I can´t believe they are taking away the old cars! I LOVE taking line A. Everytime a foreign friend is visiting we take this line - they are always fascinated and I get to feel proud of my city.

I´m sure risks could be mitigated if our beloved politicians wanted to. I took the old street trams in San Francisco (from all over the world) and Lisbon (originally from Swtizerland) and I thought they were beautiful. Why can these cities keep their old cars and we can´t? I wonder if locals in San Francisco would let this happen. I don´t think so.

They should -at least- keep the cars running. I guess replacing the ugly useless tram in Puerto Madero with the old cars would be better than nothing. But even better, why not build a tram line in the city center? From San Telmo to Retiro :))) Washington DC is building its first tram and it should be a big success. Where on earth are our urban planners???

I can´t believe nobody is protesting against this. This is one of those times where I wish I was an activist and had strong community organizing skills :)))

I have a friend visiting and he rode the wooden piece of crap last night. He thought he was in the wild west, and not in a good way. Took a cab on his way back.

Just so YOU know, I don't give a sh*t what others think. Its fine if there are others who think these pieces of crap, oh I'm sorry, these ROLLING pieces of crap are worth keeping on the tracks, I don't. Deal with it. I don't know why the hell everyone here thinks it their right to be a parent figure to others.

Well, your answer says it all.

I guess you got the message. I was referring to the boldfaced part only.

Yeah, I know. Finally someone here understands that its fine that I don't think of the wooden trains as some sort of national treasure.

Sad that they can't keep the old line A carriages and just refurbish them. They're lovely. They could treat them with the special fire-proof coating that they use for floors and staircases (not sure how effective that really is...).
Once Buenos Aires looses it's charm from the bygone era and everything is just Made in China, there will be nothing worth visiting.

An aside, I remember when the colectivos all had their special driver-customised jingle, like ice-cream vans, and then the city banned that too...

Exactly! They are good as a tourist attraction. And I wouldn't mind if they started charging tourists $25-$50 pesos for a ride on these ancient cars. I live right by line A and take it pretty much everyday. Not going to miss these cars one bit.

For those like myself that haven`t used the subway attached is the network map. Line A anyhow doesn't go near Av.Santa Fe.
Good to replace those old cars that have no structural strength to sustain impacts, would be all wooden chips after a strong impact like what happened in Once Station...!!

LineaSubtes_aprobada.jpg

Back