living cost for one person in BA?

How about meat?

I don't go to the butcher here so idk how much meat costs but a steak at a restaurant here is definitely much cheaper. But in the US you have access to grass fed need, Kobe beef, Kobe style beef, etc, plus southern BBQ, Korean BBQ, Japanese bbq, etc which is all really delicious and in my opinion much tastier than what you get in Argentina.

Once upon a time the meat in Argentina was outstanding as it was all grass fed up to the early 2000s . It is mostly feedlot in 2019 and it is impossible to find grass fed meat as in Argentina it is illegal to advertise the difference in meat for sale ( a completely unethical law) In Australia the quality of meat is superior as most meat is grass fed and the option to buy grass fed organic meat is available in supermarekts and restaurants .

The only places I know that have grass fed superior meat in Buenos Aires are El secreto in the four seasons and Don Julio . Now they do not advertise the fact but the managers have confirmed this to me and the difference in flavour is night and day .

The best food in South America imho is in Peru as they pride themselves on ingredients and use elaborate flavours . Lima has some of the best restaurants on the planet ,
Totally agree with you on Peruvian food.

Numbeo figures may be used only as a reference, and do not include rent. ....

Figure that as a tourist you most likely will only qualify to rent a furnished temporary apt. on a 6 month contract , subject to inflationary review every 6 months. Unless you have Garantia under Notary Public, form a valid BA property owner.

Palermo Temporary furnished Studio Rentals listed in Zonaprop start form US$600 up to US$1000 per month.(30 sq.mts.aprox). May not include electric, gas, utilities.wifi, Check each add.

Health insurance if you are over 60 will run MORE than US$200 perhaps double from a major Provider, (Hospital Aleman, Britanico, Italiano..etc).

So with your rent and health insurance plan you are close to US$1K.

I would consider doing Airbnb, a decent 1 bed is like $35-40 a day

In terms of school, I just mean tuition to college in the US is 50k a year and a top private school k-12 is also 50k a year. Whereas college tuition in Argentina is free and an elite private school like Lincoln in BA is $30k. I have no doubt that the actual quality of a top US school is far superior to anything in Argentina. It is just a lot more expensive. Don't know much about public K-12 in the US but I'm sure if you live in Beverly Hills the free public k-12 will be fine.

You don't have to live in Beverly Hills to find good public schools. In the US public school (K-12) education is funded by local governments so the wealthy areas have the best schools. In affluent school districts teachers can make over U$S 100,000 a year. Because the quality of schools has a lot to do with location, real estate agents mention the name of the School District when they sell homes in areas with good public schools. It's a very unjust system since big cities have large impoverished populations and thus less school funding.

You're absolutely right about the cost of universities. Outrageous. The only bright spot is that if you come from a home with what's designated a low income and pass the requirements for admission, schools like Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania and other Ivy League and high prestige schools offer 100% scholarships.

Total fees at Lawrenceville School ( a leading boarding school) in New Jersey are U$S 62,190. I think about $10,000 less for day students. It's crazy.

You don't have to live in Beverly Hills to find good public schools. In the US public school (K-12) education is funded by local governments so the wealthy areas have the best schools. In affluent school districts teachers can make over U$S 100,000 a year. Because the quality of schools has a lot to do with location, real estate agents mention the name of the School District when they sell homes in areas with good public schools. It's a very unjust system since big cities have large impoverished populations and thus less school funding.

You're absolutely right about the cost of universities. Outrageous. The only bright spot is that if you come from a home with what's designated a low income and pass the requirements for admission, schools like Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania and other Ivy League and high prestige schools offer 100% scholarships.

Total fees at Lawrenceville School ( a leading boarding school) in New Jersey are U$S 62,190. I think about $10,000 less for day students. It's crazy.

That is indeed crazy. I think about private (non-boarding schools) in LA and how a K-12 education will run you at least $500K, then you have to shell out $50K+ a year for undergrad, and then another $50K a year for grad school. I realize there are other options like charter schools, good public K-12 school districts, less expensive private catholic schools, but still, it is really expensive and stressful to raise kids in the US. And with tuition being what it is for college (outside of situations like you mention), an average student can't really go major in English or History because they will never get a job that would allow them to repay their student loans. So there is all this institutional pressure to major in a STEM/science or pre-med, become a doctor, lawyer, engineer or hedge fund analyst, etc... On the other hand, this also provides a path for hard working lower class kids to shoot for a better socio-economic class by studying hard, if that is what they want. Whereas I dont think many lower middle class people in Argentina can just study their way to a better life.

I just note that in Argentina, two of the biggest costs in the US (healthcare and college tuition) are cheap/free.

Great discussion on Cost of Education in the USA... Next

Depends on your age bracket Plan Coverage, Provider. Plus pre-existing conditions?

That is correct about OMINT and the same for others - and keep in mind that the rate for someone in the plan for 10+ years will be very high to begin with. For those who are new and over 60, the rate will be several times higher so I'd think close to USD $1,000 a month. For someone from the UK where health care is free or from the US where there is Medicare, retiring in Argentina and paying local private health care rates makes little sense.
Just fyi, my wife and I (in our 70's) checked with the German Hospital a couple of years ago and were quoted exactly $1000 USD per year for each of us. We declined.

Just fyi, my wife and I (in our 70's) checked with the German Hospital a couple of years ago and were quoted exactly $1000 USD per year for each of us. We declined.
$1000. a year for health insurance is $84. a month. That is incredibly cheap. My health insurance in the U.S. ,supplementary to Medicare, was $220. a month. And that did not cover vision, dental or doctor visits. Just hospitalization.

Back