living cost for one person in BA?

Yeah... I don’t know about 4000... whoever said it costs that for one person must not be talking in general layman’s terms.... I would say much cheaper.... It is getting more and more expensive and if you are not used to inflation like I was, it gets extremely frustrating especially if you are self employed (having to raise your prices on a bi-weekly basis when back home raising prices of anything is huge) but depending on how you spin it and your perspective without being overly critical ( IE: Some things just are not fair to even compare with things back home, so why get burdened about it?) you can live in some ways a step or two above what you would in US/Europe.

I already know I’m not going to get amazing US style clearance sales at any of the malls here, enjoy decent sushi or for that matter just about any other ethnic food, or expect award winning customer service, so I just don’t expect it.

There are other things, as mentioned prior, such as education and the healthcare piece is HUGE... Doctors here are just more compassionate and HUMAN, and the fact that they don’t have all that politically correct BS and malpractice fear that constantly lurks US doctors.

I find this to be the case with most things here in general. It can be refreshing many times to see this mentality.

Further information on cost of Living in BA.

A Real Estate broker who manages like 40 furnished temporary rentals in a Building in Recoleta Av, Santa Fe and Larrea. Confirmed that the rentals are US$700 for a 1 bedroom. Includes Expensas plus a limited consumption of Gas, Electric, Water, Cable/Wifi. Rents are adjusted every six months. To move in you need something like US$2100 .....!. First month, Deposit, and Commision?

So your rent plus Health Care alone may use up more than US$1200 per month... WOW

So if my father, who is 82 and has lived in the USA for almost 40 years, returns to Argentina and goes to apply for health insurance, he should expect to have to pay over $1k a month? What if he went without private insurance and relied on the public system, is that a bad idea?

Do private insurance companies sell policies to residents or those not yet naturalized?

So if my father, who is 82 and has lived in the USA for almost 40 years, returns to Argentina and goes to apply for health insurance, he should expect to have to pay over $1k a month? What if he went without private insurance and relied on the public system, is that a bad idea?

Do private insurance companies sell policies to residents or those not yet naturalized?

As I explained, under CFK or Nestor (forget which) a law was passed prohibiting health insurers from increasing rates after 65, 66 or whatever is deemed the beginning of old age here as long as the individual in the plan (subscriber) has ten or more years in the plan. Prior to that law, rates soared once you reached this point in life -- 3 x the normal rate is what people have told me if they did not have the 10 or more years in the plan. Even though it's against the law to raise the rates beyond the normal increases that affect everyone if the person has the 10 + years,, the 'prepagos' will attempt to do so and the subscriber will have to fight it. The point is that the rate for an older person who is not already in a plan is going to be very high if they will even accept you which they may not. The precise rates of course will vary so top plans like OSDE or OMINT will charge the most. I think it's fair to say that U$S 1,000 a month is likely what you could pay with these companies if you are over 65. The problem is that insurers are very hard to pin down and give an exact price. This topic is never dealt with by people on this forum who brag about the low COL in Argentina. It's not low if you are over 65 and need health insurance and prescriptions. If you come from the UK or the US you've got to pay for something that is totally covered in the UK and largely covered in the US. If your father is 82 I think it is safe to say that there is NO company that will insure him so it is almost certainly a moot issue. He's just too old. I don't know about the public health plan cited in a previous email. Maybe that would help. Otherwise he'd have to rely on public hospitals which are not too good (The Fernandez is better than most) and where the waits can be very long. Coming from the US, your father would likely be shocked at the conditions of public hospitals. Take a look at the Hospital de Clinicas. The building is practically falling down and often the elevators don't work. A friend has clients who work there and he often has to climb up many floors. He said it's a mess. My mother considered coming here from the US. I consulted doctors and insurance companies and everyone discouraged it. I have no doubt that she would have had enormous problems had she done so. Finally you don't have to be naturalized to buy a health insurance policy here.

I was just enrolled in Hospital Italiano basic medical insurance. The premium is under 11,000 pesos a month, and I am 69 years old.

Can you tell me health care price for less than 60?

Right now osde 210 is about 8500 pesos a month. I'm not associated with them, but have been researching.

Medicus Azul or Celeste , similar coverage,are a little cheaper, maybe 5% .

Swiss Medical are meant to be good also, haven't looked into them yet but will probably be similar costs.

Not sure about individual hospital coverages like Alemán/Italiano etc. From what I hear they are not as good as they used to be. CEMIC may have a good plan if you are in CABA but I didn't research their prices so can't advise.

Also, many have 'family' coverage plans, which end up being far cheaper as they cover several people.

Good Luck!

I have Medicus, the top plan. I was paying approx. 5000p, and when I turned 70 in June it went up to 9000p.

My friend is 84, has Swiss Medical and pays 16,0000p mas or menos and he has had that policy for approx. 10 years.

My husband has VA in the states, nothing here, pays cash when seeing his docs, the prices are VERY reasonable.
N

Back