living cost for one person in BA?

Though "this person" will still be covered by Medicare insurance in the USA, no medical procedures performed outside the USA will be paid for by Medicare. In other words, if you move, you lose.

You are correct in both posts. He will not give up Medicare but Medicare is only good in the USA. And if the father comes here and he has to be admitted in a private hospital there will be considerable costs, even here in Argentina. There will be limits on how much insurance will pay (and it might be difficult to get a policy for someone in their 80s).

Just out of curiosity, what does an OSDE 410 Plan or similar go for these days? I read in a previous post that OSDE 210 is about 8500 pesos a month. I was just curious if anyone new how much the OSDE 410 plan is?

For contrast a fairly mediocre HMO plan here in California runs $500/month even if you're in your mid-30's. 40ish is about $650 a month. Heck, I pay $250 a month for my super healthy kids. I pay over $2,000 US dollars a month for a super healthy family that are all fairly young. The healthcare system is completely broken in the USA.

Last edited:
Personally I don't find Buenos Aires to be really affordable like some of you are playing off. Inflation is wicked there. Yes, it does help if you have a foreign currency but still it's not a cheap city now like before. Some of the HOA expenses there are crazy high. I had a few 1 bedroom apartments I was paying the equivalent of $300 US per month just for the HOA expenses. Forget the utility bills! Just the expenses. It's to the point that in several buildings owners are paying late each and every month. I can't imagine how it will be when the shit really hits the fan.

People tend to underestimate how much they truly spend each month. Most don't account for everything when making a budget. Make sure to add in all of these things each month and actually put it on a spreadsheet.

- Rent

- Property taxes (if you own)

-Phone (Home and cellphone)

- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc)

- HOA fees

- Maintenance and repairs (if you own a property)

- Car payments (if you own)

- Car insurance (if you own)

- Auto Fuel each month for each car

- Uber/taxis if you don't have a car

- Maintenance on your car to include car washes and oil changes

- Home/rental insurance for your property

- Life insurance

- Health insurance premiums

- Dental insurance premiums

- Medical/Dental expenses (what insurance won't cover)

- Prescription medications

- School expenses for kids (tuition, activities for kids, etc)

- Babysitter expenses

- Annual fee for Credit Cards

- Clothes for kids and yourself

- Toys for kids

- Dry Cleaning

- Health club / gym

- Beauty (hair salon for hair cuts, color, nails, make up, etc)

- Extracurricular activities dues/fees

- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, concerts, sporting events, etc)

- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions

- Dining out at restaurants

- Grocery budget

- Retirement savings contributions

- Kids college fund savings contributions

- Charity/donations

- Travel / vacation expenses outside of Argentina

- Any revolving debt payments you might have

- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc ---)

- Emergency savings fund for any major health issues

Personally I don't find Buenos Aires to be really affordable like some of you are playing off. Inflation is wicked there. Yes, it does help if you have a foreign currency but still it's not a cheap city now like before. Some of the HOA expenses there are crazy high. I had a few 1 bedroom apartments I was paying the equivalent of $300 US per month just for the HOA expenses. Forget the utility bills! Just the expenses. It's to the point that in several buildings owners are paying late each and every month. I can't imagine how it will be when the shit really hits the fan.

People tend to underestimate how much they truly spend each month. Most don't account for everything when making a budget. Make sure to add in all of these things each month and actually put it on a spreadsheet.

- Rent

- Property taxes (if you own)

-Phone (Home and cellphone)

- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc)

- HOA fees

- Maintenance and repairs (if you own a property)

- Car payments (if you own)

- Car insurance (if you own)

- Auto Fuel each month for each car

- Uber/taxis if you don't have a car

- Maintenance on your car to include car washes and oil changes

- Home/rental insurance for your property

- Life insurance

- Health insurance premiums

- Dental insurance premiums

- Medical/Dental expenses (what insurance won't cover)

- Prescription medications

- School expenses for kids (tuition, activities for kids, etc)

- Babysitter expenses

- Annual fee for Credit Cards

- Clothes for kids and yourself

- Toys for kids

- Dry Cleaning

- Health club / gym

- Beauty (hair salon for hair cuts, color, nails, make up, etc)

- Extracurricular activities dues/fees

- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, concerts, sporting events, etc)

- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions

- Dining out at restaurants

- Grocery budget

- Retirement savings contributions

- Kids college fund savings contributions

- Charity/donations

- Travel / vacation expenses outside of Argentina

- Any revolving debt payments you might have

- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc ---)

- Emergency savings fund for any major health issues

Youre right and thats a good list - I would add income and business taxes if self employed - but it makes me wonder how people get by. For a nuclear family to have a fairly frugal but comfortable lower - mid middle class life building savings for the future you need an income of US$100 000 these days.

Back