Living In Argentina, Earning Money Abroad

d.gray

Registered
Hi, I'm new to the forum but not to Argentina. I've been working here self-employed for a few years but a problem's come up with my Monotributo and I'm looking for some advice.

So, I work on a freelance basis for clients in the UK where I'm from, and they pay me into my account over there. I had an accountant here in Argentina who said that was fine. I simply wrote down all the details of my UK clients on my facturas, converted everything into pesos and paid what was owed (I'm trying to do everything as above board as possible as I'm going to be here a long time).

A little while ago my accountant went AWOL so I had to find another one. This new one then tells me that legally my clients should all be paying me directly into my bank account in Argentina, not into my account in the UK.

So, any idea who is right? My first accountant or the second one? Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Also, if anyone could send details of a good accountant that would be fantastic – they don't need to speak English, but someone who has experience working with expats would be great.

Thanks for the help!

I live partly in Buenos Aires and parttime in Amsterdam, get my money in my Dutch bank accounts and pay there tax. Never had problems in Argentina with the tax-machine.

The thing is, they are both right. In Argentina, many laws and regulations are contradictory; thus, it doesn't really matter who's "right", but who can file your taxes making a better case. This is why people here must have a good and reliable accountant (filing your own taxes can get you into trouble unless you're doing very simple accounting).

Call Estudio Miriam Mintzer in Palermo. They are reliable and have been doing this for decades, and they have quite a few expat clients. They charge a little bit more than your average friend-of-a-friend accountant but at least you know you won't have any trouble.

Thanks for the advice, I was kind of hoping there would be one 'right' answer but totally understand that many things here are contradictory. I'll definitely check out Estudio Miriam Mintzer, thanks a lot for sending!

if you want to be paid here directly, you will need facturas E (export facturas). you need to be iva inscripto to get them. foreign clients don´t pay iva. If you can get your money into a foreign bank account and then bring it here, obviously this is better for you then bringing it in here. We get paid into a local bank because we subcontract, so sending ourself money via zoom would not be practical. but if it is for you (or something similar) don´t change it.

Back