Living In Ba

When you go to the bank next week with your Nuevo DNI, be sure to take the constancia of your CUIT or CUIL, a utility bill (gas, water, or electricity) in your name, and your last two months pay stubs or other "proof" of the source of your income (Social Security benefit letter, etc).

That way you won't have to make a second trip.

Hey! So this is actually great advice. I checked it with my roomate and this is true. He says the best way to do this is put the phoneline in my name. Apparently the CUIL is a 2 hour gig after you get the DNI. I do have to figure out the previous proof of payments though.

And the actual reason for wanting to apply for residency - i.e. a work contract with a company that can hire foreigners, or proof of rentista income, or marriage to an Argentinean national...
The real reason is that I want to make a company here eventually and want to get my stuff in order as soon as possible, also I will need a job at first to survive.

I'm sure if you get part-time work in a hostel they'll sponsor you for a work visa. It's as easy as getting a DNI.

is this true? do you know where I can find more info? I heard you can get a dni through UBA as well, and the school is free.

The process to get the DNI seems like a weird one but the "Gestor" I'm talking to seems to think it won't be a problem. Apparently I have to pretend my parents are Argentine!

I can't help but feel that the OP is not a troll, but rather extremely naive and not understanding really anything that goes on here in Argentina. With the "Nuevo DNI" thing, it almost seems like he was trying to figure things out but wasn't quite getting it.

I feel some sympathy toward kevinbryan if he is not a troll. Pero la verdad, si es asi, que verguenza ajena que siento...

KB, honest to god, if you're not a troll you need to understand things a little better. The Nuevo DNI is just a new format of the national identification - used to be a booklet, now it's a card like a driver's license. As others mentioned (perhaps a bit caustically or sarcastically - not that I blame them) you have to have a reason to be granted residency, with a DNI and all.

There is no way you will easily get money back and forth between here and your country. There are only a few of us who can do so at practically no cost and we've lived here for years and made many contacts. Every other way is costly in either time, money, or both. Either way, with the exception of one person claiming to have done so through the banking system (can't remember who or how long ago, but in my mind it wasn't confirmed), that isn't going to happen.

The problem is, you seem so wide-eyed about this that you either haven't done any real research, haven't understood what you're researched, or are a troll. You did admit you realized Argentina was more expensive than you thought and your original statement of money was accurate and woefully short, but that makes things seem more troll-ish in a way, with what you said afterward. With all the comments on this board about money, banks and DNIs, you hit the three things that are the biggest problems living here legally and seem to slough if off.

If you are sincere, I truly apologize for any insults you may be taking.

The truth is, you can stay here without residency but you won't be regularized. You won't be able to get a job that is recognized as legal. You won't be able to open a bank account. None of those things is necessarily going to keep you from living here and maybe even being happy. You will not find an easy way to bring money down from outside the country. You will not be able to have residency unless you are accepted as a student, have investment income, are married to someone who has permanent residency or citizenship, etc. If you can survive here under those terms for two years, you can actually apply for citizenship and have a reasonably good chance of getting it, thus getting past the requirements for residency.

Of course, you still won't be able to get money into or out of the country easily or cheaply... :)

The process to get the DNI seems like a weird one but the "Gestor" I'm talking to seems to think it won't be a problem. Apparently I have to pretend my parents are Argentine!

If your parents were actually Argentine you could actually become a permanent resident rather quickly. You could also become a citizen without having to deal with migraciones.

Does "pretending" your parents are Argentine entail providing false documentation to migraciones?

If not, it would be interesting to know how your gestor proposes to accomplish the ruse.

Providing false information to migraciones probably won't get you a resident visa and (subsequently) a DNI. It might actually get you deported.

UBA is "free" (you have to pay for course materials and such as I understand) but getting in isn't a given. You have to first be able to speak Spanish (you won't get very far sitting in class and not understanding a thing that is said). Maybe you already speak Spanish well enough to go to school. Then, aside from all of the crap required to get your school transcripts from your country, get them apostiled, get them translated (which requires separate legalizations), etc, you will most likely have to go for a year to take introductory courses. You could do all that and if accepted, you could probably get residency - temporary - that must be renewed (you have to be able to re-qualify, i.e., still be in school) I believe every two years (maybe it's every year with a student visa?).

Now, there are places like UADE and the international business courses where only the first six months or so are in spanish and the majority of your coursework is in English after that. But it will cost you about $400 USD a month to go there and i don't know how easy it is to get accepted for a foreigner. My oldest sister-in-law goes to school there and more than half of the students in her course are English-speaking foreign students.

I would estimate that if you're lucky, with all of that to do, it would take you months at best to get a precaria (which is the paper that says your residency is being reviewed and gives you time to stay "legally") and more months to actually get the DNI.

As far as "pretending" that your parents are Argentines...well, now you're sounding like a troll again, or you have been given some extremely bad advice. It may be the latter - the "gestor" you're talking to may be saying to himself "wow, I've got a live one here. I won't promise that I can make it happen, and this guy will spend a lot of money while I go through the paces, but I'll get paid and he'll get poorer." Which is not an uncommon attitude here.

There is no "pretending" who you are, or who your parents are. You have to prove it. Hell, my wife, from Paraguay, had problems with one of her sisters when getting the DNI because one piece of paper had her mother's name as "Sanches" instead of "Sanchez" and it took almost a year to get that simple spelling error corrected and accepted. Edit: when it came to my residency, my wife already had her DNI when I applied. We had been married more than a year before I had applied. Her DNI said "soltera" (single) for her marital status and even though we had the marriage certificate all nice and legalized from Paraguay, they wouldn't let me go forward until my wife had gone through the process of changing her marital status on her DNI, which took another number of months.

As to your reason for staying here - Argentina doesn't give a crap why you want to stay if it isn't one of the reasons they accept. Rentista (you have income from a source that is not work, something like dividends or interest from investments or a retirement account - not salary), student (current and in good standing), marriage (to someone who is either a citizen or has permanent residency) are the main categories. I guess there's also probably having a baby on Argentine soil... If you don't fit into one of those categories, there is no residency forthcoming.

Apparently the CUIL is a 2 hour gig after you get the DNe.I. I do have to figure out the previous proof of payments though.

The real reason is that I want to make a company here eventually and want to get my stuff in order as soon as possible, also I will need a job at first to survive.

The "proof of payments" are actually proof of income (the last two pay stubs from a job you already have). As a foreigner, you need to have a DNI before most companies can (have the legal ability) to hire you. You might get lucky and find a company who already has permission to hire foreigners and that will result in residency and a DNI.

The only way I know of to get a DNI without a job and without foreign income is to get a student visa (which will get you a DNI) and then you can work for anyone who is willing to hire you.

The only "drawback" to getting a student visa is that you actually have to be enrolled as a student. Perhaps you can start your business while also enrolled as a full time university student. I started my first retail business when I was a full time student at Illinois State University, so I know it can be done.

[...]
The only way I know of to get a DNI without a job and without foreign income is to get a student visa (which will get you a DNI) and then you can work for anyone who is willing to hire you.
[...]

Don't forget marriage :) I didn't have to have a job nor prove any income to get my residency through marriage.

[...]
[...]

BTW - if this is a true desire of yours, make sure you understand all of the ramifications of creating a company here. It ain't easy and it sure as hell is not cheap. Look at the amount of taxes you should pay, the labor laws, which cause a much higher burden to company owners than is reasonable to tell the truth, the attitude of a large majority of workers, etc.

It's all possible, but i can think of a number of places where it makes more sense to start up a business in South America, Paraguay being one of them. I came down here originally to do business and gave it up on any kind of scale (I no longer employ any Argentinos living in Argentina and don't have a company here). Others have done business here with varying levels of success, but of those, I have seen many comments of people who wished they hadn't.

BTW - renting temporary places to live is something you can do, alhtough most likely you will find yourself moving a lot because terms of temporary contracts are limited by law and those owners that understand that usually won't rent for more than 6 months. Long-term leases (which are cheaper but usually require you to buy furnishings) are difficult to find for someone new here - you have to have another property as guarantee to rent an apartment. Long story, and it's not 100%, but is a big problem to people who want to stay here long term and have some stability in their lives.

Sorry to be a downer on all of this, but if you're going to do something here, you really need to understand the ramifications of what you're talking about. Spending a few weeks to a few months here as a tourist (or partyer perhaps) is one thing - but living here and putting yourself into the hands of the government who runs things is another story...

I checked...with my roomate and...He says the best way to do this is put the phoneline in my name.

It will be interesting to know what documents that the phone company will ask for in order to accomplish this.

In order to put the phone line in my name (in Capital Federal) I not only had to provide the escritura for the apartment in which the previous owner ceded the linea fija to me, I also had to provide my DNI.

I'm sure non-resident property owners without a DNI have accomplished the name change, but I'm also sure they had to prove that they were owners of the property as well as the phone line.

I will be very surprised if you and your roommate can simply waltz into the office of the phone company and put the line in your name (just by asking).

Even if your roommate is the owner of the apartment and "pretends" to be leasing the apartment to you, he can only (legally) give you a six month lease and that will not get this mission accomplished.

BTW - if this is a true desire of yours, make sure you understand all of the ramifications of creating a company here. It ain't easy and it sure as hell is not cheap. Look at the amount of taxes you should pay, the labor laws, which cause a much higher burden to company owners than is reasonable to tell the truth, the attitude of a large majority of workers, etc.

It's all possible, but i can think of a number of places where it makes more sense to start up a business in South America, Paraguay being one of them. I came down here originally to do business and gave it up on any kind of scale (I no longer employ any Argentinos living in Argentina and don't have a company here). Others have done business here with varying levels of success, but of those, I have seen many comments of people who wished they hadn't.

BTW - renting temporary places to live is something you can do, alhtough most likely you will find yourself moving a lot because terms of temporary contracts are limited by law and those owners that understand that usually won't rent for more than 6 months. Long-term leases (which are cheaper but usually require you to buy furnishings) are difficult to find for someone new here - you have to have another property as guarantee to rent an apartment. Long story, and it's not 100%, but is a big problem to people who want to stay here long term and have some stability in their lives.

Sorry to be a downer on all of this, but if you're going to do something here, you really need to understand the ramifications of what you're talking about. Spending a few weeks to a few months here as a tourist (or partyer perhaps) is one thing - but living here and putting yourself into the hands of the government who runs things is another story...

Take this advice very very seriously. And also consider do you have the business experience to start with? Business in Argentina is not your average sort of venture. My best advice which polostart mentioned earlier is Internet work out side of the country a digital nomad if you will.

Hey! So this is actually great advice. I checked it with my roomate and this is true. He says the best way to do this is put the phoneline in my name. Apparently the CUIL is a 2 hour gig after you get the DNI. I do have to figure out the previous proof of payments though.

is this true? do you know where I can find more info? I heard you can get a dni through UBA as well, and the school is free.

Is the post for real??????

Even if you manage to rent an apartment without a garantia the owner isn't going to put the phone bill in your name. You want to start a business? Keep in mind that taxes are almost 60%, inflation 40% and average annual salary increases around 20%. Not to mention you'll have to pay taxes in Argentina on your "proof of income" outside Argentina. Technically double taxation doesn't exist, but AFIP gets around that somehow. I think you're under the serious misapprehension that you can get all these things done in a couple of months (Precaria, DNI though la UBA, and CUIL). FYI: you have to actually attend classes at La UBA in order to get a DNI. You can't sign up for classes and then not go.

There are expats that have been waiting for more than a year for their DNI to arrive after the year it took to get their paperwork ready and actually apply for residence and that's a small amount of time compared to what it will take to start a business. It could be very difficult to get work here under the table since employers live in constant fear that their employers will sue them for not being legalized.

Back