Living in Buenos Aires versus Santiago - pros and cons

"Bill" said:
Hi Bill.
I am thinking of leaving BA in the summer months to avoid the hot humid weather here. I spent 3 weeks in Vin Del Mar and 2 weeks in Puerto Varas 2005. I would go there but it's now a little pricy. The same hotel I stayed in Vin Del Mar is now 3X the price as it was when I stayed there, What is the weather like in Santiago in January and Febuary? Any sugestions?
DQ

The weather was fine when I was there. Even the air pollution in Santiago wasn't that bad although I couldn't see the mountains from the lookout over the city.
Suggestions? I suppose I'd stay in Valparaiso and commute to Vin Del Mar since it's a quick, cheap trip. Another this is to be very clear that a Bus from Santiago is going to Valparaiso if that's where you want to first arrive. I ended up in Vin Del Mar and since I was the only one going to Valparaiso, the Bus driver gave me enough change to that the local Bus and pointed to where it stopped. A bit stressful but an amusing story now. "take the orange Bus" they said and pointed me to the main street with coins in hand.
Watch your belongings of course. And I mean be careful. Getting robbed is more a question of when, not if, unless you protect yourself.
One worrd: Iquique

Absolute Mendoza!!! please consider Mendoza is not as big as Buenos Aires, but has all the "pros" that you look in Buenos Aires or Santiago, that is the perfect pakage, My wife and I move to Mendoza from Chicago, Illinois after 40 years and we love it, has plenty of work, prices are cheap, and a lot to do...(one example you can claim the second largest mountain in the world) a bout that... for a challenge? good luck in your pick.

This an old thread but it's worth reading, and (sadly) more relevant than ever.

Spent 5 days in Santiago in 2008 on the way to Easter Island. Nice city...beach is farther from Santiago so if that is important then it goes on the con list. I have (so far) spent 3 weeks in BA last October and now and like it better and I think the people are friendlier here. Except for the heat and humidity I LOVE BA..hope this helps
Christy

I second this question and I would like to add Lima, Bogotá, and Asunción into the mix and get some more opinions,

From the limited research I have done (I.E. looking at furnished apartments online and cost of living comparison websites) Santiago and BA seem pretty even in cost of living.

realba said:
(despite their reputation as not being so) and are far more approachable than their argentine sisters. plus, they're real suckers for foreign guys :)

Women in Chile will be more approachable for sure. They have a society with a very small middle class, so if they think you are wealthy, that´s enough for them.
Last time I was there, the questions they made were related to find out how rich was I.
In Buenos Aires you will have to learn to "chamuyar".

Are all you kidding?.....Bac its comparated only with ny in this continent beyond the socio-economic situations. Argentina was the 5th economy in the world on the past. Today we are starting going out from our worth economic situation in the whole history and chili still are the half of us. The economy comes and goes.... Its like that for everyone. Chili never taste the disgusting flavor of economy problems cuz god willed it not yet so, but nobody haves granted the "without problems reality" forever. On the other hand comparate santiago with Bac its like comparate: Nyc with mexico city...."mexico have this... And that. Ny have this ...and that" hahaha... C'mon i can build santiago whit a few buildings of palermo and some from puerto madero and thats all, trust me. Try to comparate it, its a real joke.

Back