Living in Buenos Aires versus Santiago - pros and cons

Brigadier said:
and chili still are the half of us.

Can someone translate this for me, please?

It is a direct translation of some sort of Lunfardo witticism that I have never heard?

Ries said:
Can someone translate this for me, please?

It is a direct translation of some sort of Lunfardo witticism that I have never heard?

It means that the population of the country of Chile (can you believe an Argentine could make such a mistake?) is half that of Argentina.

Now if someone can tell me what Bac means.....

Well, I agree with Brigadier in the idea.

They are obsess about Argentina, argentinians don´t even realize there is something at the other side of the mountains. Chile is looking at us, we are looking at Europe.

In Chile the gossip magazine are about our models, actress, actors, etc (forrandula, yes this is lunfardo).

I don´t think you can decide between Santiago and BA. You chose Santiago if you like mountain biking for example. In summer time Valparaiso is better than Mar del Plata for sure.

You chose BA if you like a big city, quilombo, night life, theaters and cultural life.

Regards

tangobob said:
What I would say though is if you go to the milongas there is more than the average amount of mutton dressed as lamb.

Talking about muttons dressed as lambs when I first arrived here I asked one of my students if Susana Gimenez was a transexual, anyway I do think that Argentinian women are very nice looking as they usually sport a good mix of European features!

when I first arrived here I asked one of my students if Susana Gimenez was a transexual,

..so what the heck did you make of Moria Casan on first glance I wonder...?

fifs2 said:
when I first arrived here I asked one of my students if Susana Gimenez was a transexual,

I am not very familiar with Argentinian "celebrities", I don't really watch TV programmes or read gossip magazines, so I don't know who she/he is. I should ask a Chilean person, apparently they are very much into the Argentinian lifestyle from what I read above...:rolleyes:

fifs2 said:

Ah ah, I have just googled her: she is absolutely unwatchable!!!
:D:D:D

lovetotravel said:
I am an American that is considering moving to
Buenos Aires or Santiago. I was wondering what the advantages and
disadvantages of Buenos Aires would be versus Santiago. What are your
thoughts on this?

I have visited both cities but it was a long time ago. Based on my limited knowledge I would say:

Buenos Aires

Pros: more to do, less expensive, cleaner air

Cons: more crime and poverty, lack of natural beauty (no mountains), more pretentious people

Santiago

Pros: higher standard of living, less crime, more natural beauty, better economy, people less pretentious

Cons: not as much to do, less fun, more expensive, more polluted

Let me know what you consider to be the pros and cons of living in Buenos Aires versus Santiago. Thank you for your advice.

Kind of depends on what you want. Chile definitely has a big edge in economic and political stability, very important if you plan to invest, buy real estate, etc.

I meant that chili have a sane economy, but its small..... Their economy its less than the half of our economy considering that they are in their better time in their whole history and we are going out from the worth economic situation in our whole history, thats all. (thats what I meant when I said that "they are the half of us")

Back