Local cell phone plan or ???

Marche exile said:
By iphone I suspect you mean you have 'the works' like email, internet, facebook, twitter and all the other stuff you take for granted at home. If you go pay as you go you dont get all that. Ive only been here 5 weeks and have put a pay as you go sim in my blackberry so it half works, no internet just texts and calls. Its driving me mad! To get a plan you need a DNI which Im waiting for at the moment. So it all depends on what you want. Also be careful what you buy as my husband bought a brand new phone out to use and it wont work. I think they have to be quad band? but Im sure someone else on here can tell us more.
Best of luck.

Not true for Claro. I don't have a DNI and have an unlimited data plan for my unlocked US phone.

If you plan on getting a 3g plan, you have to get a phone from ATT because it works on the same band as here. T-mobile will only have 2g/EDGE. I bought an unlocked android phone on ebay. Just search ATT site, pick phone, then go to ebay and search "unlocked (model name) ATT".

I have a Samsung with Personal Black plan. It's $200 AR a month, unlimited 3g. Since your husband is Argentine, I assume he has a DNI or at least family that can get you plan.

pompeygazza said:
Phones have to be quad-band to work here.
Not true.

Here are the rules:

1. It must be a GSM phone (i.e. T-Mobile or AT&T are in, Verizon is out).
  2. The GSM phone must operate on the 850 and/or (preferably AND) 1900 frequencies. (These are also the frequencies used in the US.)
  3. It must be unlocked (i.e. not tied to the US carrier from whom you bought it). If you have a locked phone, it's fairly easy and cheap to get it unlocked here, although if you have a phone you bought from a US carrier and your purchase contract has expired, they will unlock it there for no charge. (To avoid a heavy sales pitch, tell them upfront that you're moving out of the country.)
If you meet these reqs, you're good to go.

The DNI requirement gets argued a lot. The answer depends on the carrier, the service requested, and whether you're dealing directly with a carrier or with an independent vendor (and which one). Since your husband is Argentine, the issue is moot. Use his DNI if it's requested.

The pre-pay plans others have recommended will get you basic cell service and text messaging. If you want anything more, you'll need a billed service. These are generally cheaper than prepay in any case, since they always come with at least a number or 2 that you can call and text at no charge. If you're like me, at least 50% of your communications are with a couple numbers, so the free number(s) make a difference. Note that the free numbers must be with the same carrier.

I used my old iPhone 3GS I called attand had I unlocked. Worked fin on Movistar prepaid Vern had data. No security problems ithr I didint pull it out on the Subte though.

jimdepalermo said:
Not true.

Here are the rules:

1. It must be a GSM phone (i.e. T-Mobile or AT&T are in, Verizon is out).
Not true - my bberry is from Verizon in the US and works fine here.

I pay a fortune for int'l plan with a US based phone and only use it for data. I wouldn't recommend doing that. Get a local phone/plan.

citygirl said:
[/list]
Not true - my bberry is from Verizon in the US and works fine here.

I pay a fortune for int'l plan with a US based phone and only use it for data. I wouldn't recommend doing that. Get a local phone/plan.
Just means that the phone is GSM & CDMA. Non GSM phones will not work.

PhilipDT said:
Just means that the phone is GSM & CDMA. Non GSM phones will not work.

Yes, got it. Just pointing out that Verizon offers GSM phone options, not just AT&T and T-Mobile.

Droid 2 (I think, one of the Droids) on Verizon is also GSM/CDMA. It's true that many of the Verizon phones are only CDMA, but not all.

Wanted to point out that is is fairly easy to have a US phone number to ring an Argentinian mobile phone. Really easy on Android. Added bonus is if you are connected to a Wifi all calls to the US are local and super cheap rates internationally.

It basically involves Google Voice, Sip client, VOIP account. You end up with a US number that rings your phone and almost unlimited US calling. I pay around $7 a month for this and it can be used almost everywhere in the world. It is great on Wifi but to use it over the cell network you would want an unlimited data plan.

Edit-
The Google Voice account is not needed but adds some great features.

Back