Long Weekend Twice in 1 Month?!

YanquiGallego

Registered
I am a bit astonished by the fact that last week there were 2 national holidays in the work week, and this weekend is another long weekend. Many people are still ¨de vacaciones¨ and have been in that mode since before Christmas and it makes it quite hard if not impossible to do much business.

All of my Argentine friends just smile at me and give me the, ¨Los Argentinos nos gusta la joda¨ line, which I can appreciate but I would imagine this makes it difficult for professionals who actually NEED to be productive in order to put food on the table.

I have lived in Spain as well as the US and have seen both extremes of the spectrum, but have never seen it like this before.

apparently this "holiday" was added on to make up for last tuesday's carnival holiday which was wrecked (pardon the pun) by the train accident in once. so this is supposed to make up for it. at least that's my (argentine) neighbors tell me while they roll their eyes and shrug their shoulders in embarassment...

I'll never understand why they do it. Well, I mean, it is a political ploy to get more support from Kirchner's base of supporters, but with the current state of the economy, can they really keep shaving millions and millions of dollars off the economy for pointless holidays?

mariposa said:
apparently this "holiday" was added on to make up for last tuesday's carnival holiday which was wrecked (pardon the pun) by the train accident in once. so this is supposed to make up for it. at least that's my (argentine) neighbors tell me while they roll their eyes and shrug their shoulders in embarassment...

Interesting that their carnival tuesday was ruined by divining the accident that occurred the next day in Once - why didn't they act to stop it? Too much distortion of the space-time continuum like in Back to the Future?

Considering that Schiavi lamented the fact that the accident didn't occur on a holiday you can probably safely bet on there being more feriados next year as a strategy to reduce rail fatalities.

Indeed. It's always far safer to stay at home. I mean, that armed robber last year didn't actually shoot me...

2GuysInPM said:
hmm... I don't think so. This holiday was announced as far back as november of last year. It is a one-time holiday to commemorate the national flag's bi-centennial.

That's my understanding too. I've also heard it said that, whilst back in Dear Old Blighty, callmeDave is blaming last year's abysmal growth figures on the extra bank holiday Britons had for the royal wedding, the Argentine position is that feriados given as long weekends encourage people to go out and travel and spend and actually encourage growth.

I am, however, a big fan of the crazy shit Argentine neighbours say to each other in lifts and so on, enough of it seeps onto this site that in my opinion it merits being honoured with a forum section of its own.

WTF ??? You're so far off it's not even funny.

mariposa said:

Back