Looking For A Used Bicycle

chephy

Registered
Hi, everyone! My partner and I came to Argentina about a month ago from Toronto, Canada. We're not settling here forever, but we'll stay until late May, so we'll be here for a few months. Back in Toronto I was an avid cyclist - cycling was my primary mode of transportation; there were few places I didn't travel to by bike.

I did not originally plan to bike in Buenos Aires, because when doing our research, we came across all manner of warnings about how atrocious BA drivers were and how dangerous the roads. However, after a month here I see that those dire warnings were, well, a bit exaggerated. It's not as though drivers here are saints by any means, but clearly people who claim that BA drivers are "among the worst in the world" have never been to, say, Moscow. :) In short, I'm feeling comfortable enough to try to get into cycling here, because the subte at rush hour leaves me feeling rather claustrophobic!

So that means I need a bike. Something sturdy and comfortable and relatively efficient, but not flashy. An older mountain bike with decent components would be ideal. The problem is, we did not budget for a bike when coming here, so we have a rather limited amount of money to spend on this.

I checked craigslist, but the offerings there were so meager, it was entirely useless. Apparently bike shops here don't really carry used bikes either. So, any chance anyone on this board has a bike for sale or can point me in the right direction. Muchas gracias!

Look on mercadlibre. I got an almost new Raleigh 2.0 mountain bike in my very uncommon size for ~2600 pesos, it was in great condition and I use it as my primary grocery getter / errand runner.

I have a bike I'm looking to sell. I got it used about a year ago and it's great -- sturdy, comfortable, etc. but too big for me to use comfortably on a regular basis (which I should have considered when I bought it). The price is 800 pesos. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you some photos!

Is it a woman's bike, or a man's bike? What size is the frame, what type of bike is it? Road, mountain, or for getting around the city? Can you put some photos?

When you get to know the city better, you'll find the system of bike paths encouraging people to cycle to work instead of driving. On top of that, there are rental locations around the city. The rental program used to be available only to citizens, but now anyone can rental a bike in one location and leave it in another.

I've seen used bicycles for sale in bike shops. I even stopped to admire a women's bicycle for sale in a shop window on Combate de Los Pozos between Chile and Independencia. It's in perfect condition with hand brakes but no gears.

I can't justify buying a bicycle when the city offers them on a free rental basis. I see people riding these city-owned bikes in Bosques de Palermo on the weekends.

Check the internet for Bicicletas Publicas and a map of locations.

Thanks all. Alas, 2600 pesos is a little more than I'm prepared to pay and free rentals seem like a better option for recreation, but not serious commuting.. I'll keep looking... any other tips/leads welcome.

Hi, I'm also looking for a bike -women/men, it doesn't matter for me, though I'm a man- as long as it's in good shape. Please let me know if anybody wants to sell her/his bike.

Hi all!

I have a great men's bike ''28'' rodada for sale. It's English style with blue metalic paint, new forks, new crank and a brand spankin' new coaster brake (Which are great for busy city streets).

I'm only getting rid of it because I upgraded, let me know if you want to see any pics!

Cheers

Back