Looking For A Worker. Tips And Solutions?

kosta

Registered
Folks!

I need to recruit a worker here in BA, now I'm wondering what is the best way to find one. Of course I've posted an advert in the "classifieds" section of BAexpats.org (http://baexpats.org/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=633) but still need to post it on some high-volume classifieds service.

I know that some of you guys have done a recruting process in BA. How did you do it? Is there any most desired website, one that attracts lots of people who seek job, one that gives the best and quick results?

What kind of work? Personally, I get workers through contacts, and asking my contacts to recommend someone when they fit the criteria. I post here on the site, but the first method has been my best option.

Try the craigslist/BA.
They have a jobs section.

http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/

English or Spanish speaking? What field?
Linkedin--to specific groups like "audiovisuales argentina" when I am looking for an aftereffects animator--has been very good. You can also see people´s profiles right away. you can also ask for recs.

To get a fairly good worker here you may contact a chuch, any chuch, including the Mormons.
They will provide you with an acceptable candidate

Be careful! I knew the person I hired (an arbitro -- the law and rules are his life). I had a lawyer (highly recommended) draw up up the employment contract, and we had a short period noted to check on his performance. The second that probationary period was over, he began taking my car without my knowledge, stole money food and belongings from my home, brought 20 of his friends into my home without my knowledge or approval, etc, etc.

When I called him on these infringements, he would cry! He even told me stories (I am sure are lies now) about needing to pay for his younger brother´s school, a mother who was going out and bringing men into her bed whilst his father was driving a truck through Chile, etc. He started adding time onto the worksheet they have to sign for AFIP that doubled the hours he was working!

The lawyer told me there was no way I could fire him because of the terms in the contract. I had to pay 2 years´ salary to get rid of him. He later began threatening my life to extort more money from me. I filed a police report with evidence. I never heard anything. I went to the Court with another lawyer. The original documents were "removed" by a lawyer for this man. When there were no original documents, nothing ever happened about his death threats.

I know others who have had similar experiences. You might want to import a family member or trusted friend for the work.

Someone mentioned a church! Nope. I had two men from a church who were doing some gardening work with me. After the work was done, these young men who walk round door-to-door preaching to anyone who will open the door, kept coming back, saying that I didn´t pay them enough! Maybe as a male, you will not encounter these situations.

Sorry to say, but we also had a very negative experience similar to webmistress. Only this person was from the UK. Know others have had better luck and hope you do. However, suggest you be very vigiliant no matter who you hire.

I suggest buying aspirin in bulk. You are going to need it (sorry to say).

The lawyer told me there was no way I could fire him because of the terms in the contract. I had to pay 2 years´ salary to get rid of him. He later began threatening my life to extort more money from me. I filed a police report with evidence. I never heard anything. I went to the Court with another lawyer. The original documents were "removed" by a lawyer for this man. When there were no original documents, nothing ever happened about his death threats.

How long did he work for you? It's 1 month of severance for every year they worked for you (plus the 30 day notice you must pay assuming you asked him to leave immediately). Two years of salary for a severance doesn't make sense unless he worked for you for years.* And work contracts have zero validity here (on either side). So you could have fired him (no "contract" could prevent that) although it's almost impossible to prove that an employee has done something wrong so typically you must pay out all legal required severances even if they are fired with cause. I'm a little confused why your lawyer didn't explain any of this to you.

*Unless you mean you paid him 2 years of salary so he wouldn't sue you for something. Which is entirely possible.

ETA - To the OP, we used referrals from current employees mainly to minimize the headaches. I find employees are a little less likely to screw around/try to screw you over if their relative/friend/whatever still works for you, although it will still happen here. Beyond that, we reach out to local universities. We also found placing ads on bumeran.com to be the most effective place to advertise (at least in the professional arena)

Back