Looking For Trusted Contractor For Interior Wall Work

amigoartistico I almost agree with ghost. any glue would work. it looks like its a glue that replaces the need for a metal fastener like a screw or nail. screws and nails transfer sound through vibration. each one of the systems mentioned will reduce the sound coming through your wall. the green glue system would be good at stopping the vibration and sound of a loud stereo system. I don't think that's your problem. the way I see it, finding good mechanics to install the system is the problem with this type of construction. seems most tradesmen in buenos aires are good at masonry. you might even consider building a new masory wall. you would have 3 brick surfaces instead of the 2 you used to have. just a thought

Can you show me where you got that information? Because I have found many sources that contradict it.
OK stick with your original plan and fly in some Green Glue down from the states. I prefer the 2" steel or aluminum stand offs with double drywall and foam the 2" gaps as the drywall goes up. It's here, it's available and it works.

amigoartistico I almost agree with ghost. any glue would work. it looks like its a glue that replaces the need for a metal fastener like a screw or nail. screws and nails transfer sound through vibration. each one of the systems mentioned will reduce the sound coming through your wall. the green glue system would be good at stopping the vibration and sound of a loud stereo system. I don't think that's your problem. the way I see it, finding good mechanics to install the system is the problem with this type of construction. seems most tradesmen in buenos aires are good at masonry. you might even consider building a new masory wall. you would have 3 brick surfaces instead of the 2 you used to have. just a thought

It's not a glue at all. That's just the product name. It is a product that is designed to disipate sound by converting sound energy into heat energy. Did you actually read anything about the product, or are you just making guesses? Did you spend the 5 minutes it takes to read the two pages that I linked to, which talk about the various alternatives available for soundproofing, how they work, and the pluses and minuses of each approach?

There are some very good answers in this thread regarding ways possible to solve this problem in Argentina.

There are way more responses from people just guessing and talking off the top of their heads without knowing the first thing about what they are talking about.

OK stick with your original plan and fly in some Green Glue down from the states. I prefer the 2" steel or aluminum stand offs with double drywall and foam the 2" gaps as the drywall goes up. It's here, it's available and it works.

Yes. It works. Half as well, consuming three times the amount of apartment space.

Thanks for your input.

if as you said "the glue transfers the vibration into heat" the only way I can see that's physically possible is through friction. not possible in that application. the construction industry has a lot of good and bad products. water penetration products for example. half of them work. the success of the green glue would only happen IMO because of the type of assembly not the glue.

by the way. I originally suggested gluing the sheetrock to the wall but for different reasons. trying to nail into an existing masory wall is difficult, it breaks down the surface, and its cheaper. I did read a lot of your info, but don't agree that a 2x4 wall with with 1/2 sheetrock and r13 insulation rated at 44 is a good sound barrior. its a minimum standard.

if as you said "the glue transfers the vibration into heat" the only way I can see that's physically possible is through friction. not possible in that application. the construction industry has a lot of good and bad products. water penetration products for example. half of them work. the success of the green glue would only happen IMO because of the type of assembly not the glue.

I didn't realize I you were a physicist specializing in soundproofing technologies. You have my humblest apologies.

Could you do me a favor and make a quick assessment of this web page: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/4-elements-of-soundproofing-for-construction/
and explain the errors in the physics of what they are explaining? I'd hate to go on without having these misconceptions cleared up.

Thanks ever so much.

If you have to bring material from US, there are many kinds of sound proof stuff. We are talking about what you can do with local material. After the project, I can not hear any noise from the other side, how can you say other way is better ? :) It was just a desperate move to reduce noise and improve life, not a science project, and do not have the energy and budget to explore something like that. further.

In reality is not that much important, which material you will choose, it is only about how much space you will have to sacrifice. Much bigger problem is to find someone to do good instalation. Usually workers here don't care much about the results, any shortcut is preferred instead to do good job.

Problem is also, that they will be ultra smart about materials and they will try to convince you to choose the easiest. If you bring something from outside I doubt they will know how to install it. Maybe better way is, now that you have some insight on materials, to get someone trustworthy and discuss with this person. And if you get someone that works good, please share, it's worth his weight in gold.

Back