Looking For Trusted Contractor For Interior Wall Work

What are your views on all apparent flaws of Physics in the movie "Inter-Stellar'?

Heh. I never saw the movie. I heard how bad the physics was (and most of the people who I know aren't very science-oriented to begin with) and that it had a fairly weak plot and only the special effects were to be appreciated.

I love science fiction, and most science fiction requires the story to make up some science, there's no doubt. But it's called a "willing suspension of disbelief". In order to willingly suspend one's disbelief, the viewer must see how something can be in the future, and make sense, from what is currently known to that person. Unfortunately, I am quite aware of a lot real physics (I'm a self-taught layman, but physics and astrophysics has always been very fascinating to me) that others may not be aware of. When I just outright see something that I know is impossible, I can't help but scorn it, and the movie better be very good as far as actors and plot for me to want to see the Hollywood version of physics. Unless it's Star Wars or something like that, where the plot doesn't really depend that much on science and is what I would call Space Opera.

However, I also like the fantasy genre. I'm a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, read that when I was 12 or 13 or so the first time. Herbert's Dune series is one of the most spectacular empire-building, future religion/godhood creation on this planet in my opinion (at least his first three or four, though his son's books after he died, with Kevin Anderson I believe, are pretty good). It deals with a lot of fairly deep concepts in a very deep manner - every time I re-read it I see another little nugget of comparison to the real world through fantasy that I hadn't seen before.

But put me in front of bad science fiction and I want to leave, much less spend the price of a movie ticket :)

Nevertheless, its amongst the top 25(EVER) IMDB list. The movie must have done some thing right!

I am a major fan/lifelong student of physics..so love it when I see flaws in Physics.

--

Now I am anxiousssssly awaiting for this movie :-

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ue4PCI0NamI
My perspective has changed quite a bit over my life as far as calling the popular stuff "vapid" or "shallow" or what-have-you in many genres, science fiction particularly. People are not in general really educated in physics and forget it as soon as they can, and that's fine. It used to bother me that people were so uneducated about science, until I realized how uneducated many people are in most things that don't directly affect them on a daily basis. It is the way things are, and I am quite a bit uneducated in many popular things and people think I'm crazy :) So when a movie is popular with the masses and I think it is (or probably is in this case, since I haven't seen it) terrible, I chalk it up to a difference in interests and go on.

Sorry for getting us so far off track of the subject ;)

My perspective has changed quite a bit over my life as far as calling the popular stuff "vapid" or "shallow" or what-have-you in many genres, science fiction particularly. People are not in general really educated in physics and forget it as soon as they can, and that's fine. It used to bother me that people were so uneducated about science, until I realized how uneducated many people are in most things that don't directly affect them on a daily basis. It is the way things are, and I am quite a bit uneducated in many popular things and people think I'm crazy :) So when a movie is popular with the masses and I think it is (or probably is in this case, since I haven't seen it) terrible, I chalk it up to a difference in interests and go on.

Sorry for getting us so far off track of the subject ;)
The people who know physics well probably do not know many other things in life, like making a pie or getting laid, that's a lot to miss in life. Sorry. to be crass, just kidding. :)

thanks el queso. Wikipedia says...acoustic attenuation is a measure of energy loss of sound propagation in media. most media have viscosity and are therefore not ideal media. when sound propagates in such media, there is always thermal consumption of energy caused by viscosity. that validates the sites claim. I still need more separation between the panels than green glue. if the lay person reads that site and goes home and does what it says, I think they would be dissatisfied with the results. when originally looking at the site demonstration I thought glue was on both sides of a foam panel. you apply sheetrock to both sides. not the case. thin layer between the sheetrock does not do it for me. this has been fun. thanks all

ATTENTION: great green glue battle lives on...the green goo salesman just left my office. said he heard I was interested in his product from baexpat forum. I told him to take his thermo producing fire hazard with your viscosity bad media and sell your snake oil to someone else. I just hired the firm of Garyl and Ghost PC to handle all matters relating to sound attenuation. garyl is famous for standard construction practices and ghost is famous for a new and exciting product called caulking. need to rest. working on sunday always makes me crazy

ATTENTION: great green glue battle lives on...the green goo salesman just left my office. said he heard I was interested in his product from baexpat forum. I told him to take his thermo producing fire hazard with your viscosity bad media and sell your snake oil to someone else. I just hired the firm of Garyl and Ghost PC to handle all matters relating to sound attenuation. garyl is famous for standard construction practices and ghost is famous for a new and exciting product called caulking. need to rest. working on sunday always makes me crazy

I do love me some sarcasm!

Back