Looking like a foreigner

There's a big difference btw looking foreign and looking like a tourist.

Plenty of Argentines get mugged. Plenty of Argentines don't look like they are Argentine in the LEAST.

You either look aware of your surroundings - or not. That could be because you are clueless to safety concerns and lost - or bc you are just distracted and with a smartphone in hand or pocket.

Just walk around carrying a thermos and a mate, and people will not think you are a foreigner. Or brandish something odd like a broom (I've tried a feather duster, and yes, people look at you, but they don't expect that you are a foreigner - and won't come near you if you occasionally hold it up as if you are jousting with an invisible attacker).

What a good question. I am local but I look very foreign and around 2 years ago during November I experienced 1 attempted theft per week- (thankfully i really dont have much to steal :)- though they finally did manage to get a hold of my ipod in the last attempt, and it happened while I was distracted talking on the phone).
I was so frustrated that I actually contemplated dying my hair to stand out a little less- then I realised the attempted thefts had began right around the time when I started using some borrowed headphones for my ipod (mine had broken) and they were very visible. As soon as I went back to a new understated pair, all atempts of theft suddenly stopped, so you definitely do not want to be flashy with your technology or money. (I walk with ipod in pocket, my phone is an old relic and I dont use my laptop in parks or any other open public spaces, I dont use it by the window in cafes either, and if I take it out of my house it is in an everyday backpack, not in a laptop case...)
When you`re on the subte put your back pack frontwards so that you can hug it and see if any nimble hands try to open one of the zippers. When you`re on the bus, the typical moment at which pickpockets work is when you`re getting off or when its crowded. Watch out for those that stand too close, or a classic pickpocket giveaway, those carrying a sweater over their forearm.

Other advice I can give you is to move confidently and relaxed and pay attention when you`re on the street and transport. Don`t be afraid or embarassed to ignore or say a firm no to anyone on the streets who asks you for something (a coin, a light, whatever), specially if there is something about them that makes you uneasy- (better to come of as a jerk than an easy target).
Avoid eye contact with sketchy subjects.(unless you feel you`re being pickpocketed on a bus, then you can glare at them and they will probably put their hand away).
Have a radio taxi number handy, and a charged cell phone at all times, have coins ready in case you need to take a bus, and have a guia T (your public transport ally) so that you dont get lost and have to ask the wrong people for directions. If you feel threatened try to go in a cafe, bar, kiosko...
As teenagers we were taught to take our money in our shoes, so if you want to take extra care you can allways carry 20 in your shoes just in case- its a little too much for my taste but it could come in handy in case of emergency.
I mean sure precautions are smart, be aware, but don`t be paranoid, there are plenty of kind and nice people in BA too, and not everyone will be looking for the chance to take your wallet.

joelie said:
Just walk around carrying a thermos and a mate, and people will not think you are a foreigner. Or brandish something odd like a broom (I've tried a feather duster, and yes, people look at you, but they don't expect that you are a foreigner - and won't come near you if you occasionally hold it up as if you are jousting with an invisible attacker).

Are you suggesting that acting a bit daft is the answer?

It worked for me...I just sang Neil Diamond songs when I walked in unknown neighorhoods in CF.

Song Sung Blue depresses would be robbers so much they lose the motivation to commit crimes. :eek:

I lived in BA for a year and a half from July 2010 to end of 2011. I no longer live in Buenos Aires, but I do check this forum because I do miss it. I walked around with my ipod and earphones in lots of places, including buses and the subte and never had one problem. Would take it out and change the song as well. It also may help that I am 6'2. ;) So take that however you want. But yea its all about being aware of your surroundings and staying alert.

Im 5´9 and it happened, but once again I was wearing flashy earphones and was distracted..

SteveO87 said:
. It also may help that I am 6'2.

Yo tambien. ;)

I also look like I go to the gym on a reglular basis, even though I am almost eligible for Social Security.

It's really just from working in the jardin (one hectare) four or five hours every day. :D

serranita said:
... When you`re on the subte put your back pack frontwards so that you can hug it and see if any nimble hands try to open one of the zippers.
If your backpack has double zippers (one from each side) lock then together with a small simple key ring. They will be almost impossible to open unnoticed.

Everyone in the village where I now live (pop 1500) knows that I am a foreigner.

I am the only North American and there are no Europeans.

Even if I forget to lock my door at night I don't have to worry.

And I can wear flip flops and a baseball cap...just like most of my neighors (none of whom speak English). :)

Back