Lost My Dni

Spfly731

Registered
Now what do I do? Can I leave the country? I am traveling back to the US on May 8th.

I lost my cedula, not my book. So I asked at the counter at one of the shoppings where they do the processing of DNIs, and they told me that they cannot help any foreigners at these desks, the only place foreigners can get services is at Migraciones. So unfortunately you will have to go there. When I asked at the stand in the mall they gave me a little card that has a phone number for them as well -- you can try calling but I suspect you will have to go down there -- Sede Central: 4317-0234, Av Antartida Argentina 1355.

For Renovaciones it is Yrigoyen 952 -- I'm not sure if this would qualify as a renovacion though, for me they said I'd probably have to go to Antartida, but they weren't sure of course!... the phone number for Yrigoyen is 5222-7117, might have less phone congestion so maybe try them first.

Without a DNI you probably wouldn't have much of a problem leaving the country -- they may try and make you pay an overstay fine. But getting back in you would have to pay the reciprocal fee. However if you go to migraciones they will give you a temporary printout of your DNI that is valid for use until the permanent one arrives, so it is probably worth the hassle of going down there just in case. I`d rather have the headache of migraciones now than possibly getting delayed at the airport!

My US passport is stamped that I came in as a resident, that might help, I don't ever recall being asked for my DNI when I left the country.

I've never been asked for my DNI when I've left the country. I am a permanent resident of Argentina, but I am a US citizen, and travel with a US passport. They know you what your migratory status is in the airport via their system. I can't imagine anybody who´s not an Argentine citizen being held up when they´re trying to travel internationally for not having their DNI in hand. But then again, this is Argentina, if you know what I mean!

www.argentina.gob.ar/tramites/365-duplicado-y-otros-ejemplares-del-documento-nacional-de-identidad-dni-libreta-para-ciudadanos-extranjeros.php

According to this website you have ask for an appointment en migraciones en Av. Antartida on-line. There's a direct link to getting the appointment.

www.argentina.gob.ar/tramites/365-duplicado-y-otros-ejemplares-del-documento-nacional-de-identidad-dni-libreta-para-ciudadanos-extranjeros.php

According to this website you have ask for an appointment en migraciones en Av. Antartida on-line. There's a direct link to getting the appointment.

I just noticed that it states if you lost your DNI you have to report it to the appropriate authorities, i.e. the police and bring an official document from them to your appointment at migraciones.

Didn't need my DNI when I re-entered last week from Brazil. They looked at my US passport with my residency visa and that's it. I've only been asked for it once and that was coming from Uruguay.

Back