Lower-Cost Alternatives to BA?

Argento

Registered
We all know cost of living has increased in BA as opposed to the lower cost days of before, can anyone comment on nearby and not so nearby alternatives?
A person using $, €, $CAD, etc
Most important would be accomodation and food prices.

*Rosario, Santa Fe, Cordoba, Mendoza, etc (cheaper than BA, or not that much?)
*Uruguay (MVD)
*Chile (Santiago)
*Asuncion
*Brasil (Sao Paulo)
*Colombia
*Panama
*Mexico

I've been to the countries listed but it was a while ago.

Or have times changed in the world where it's just hard to find clear bargains for $, €, etc visitors (global financial crisis)?
Not really up for making it to Vietnam, the Congo, etc. Just not my thing.
Who knows maybe some things will change in BA around the corner and would make it less costly than it is now for some.
Although there are a few other reasons for considering another location.

Thanks anyone sharing whatever info, experiences or opinions they have.
Sure there's the internet to search but you never know what info you'll find here.
For example recently saw a link posted here of a recent article mentioning BA still as a bargain, $400 for a 1br apartment! No way. So the general net is not always accurate.
Those rankings lists also can be off.

Thanks.

I think Asuncion (Paraguay) may be the cheapest place around to live.
And it is reasonable safe too, I was told.
Lots of cheap electronics, etc.

When i was in colombia earlier this year, it was still cheap, and alot cheaper than BSAS. From what foriegners were telling me (but i have no first hand knowledge) studio apartments in the good area of medellin was around US$200 a month (1 guy said he was paying US$150), and 1 bedrooms around US$300 - in new buildings.

As for food - if you like fresh fruit and veges this place is amazing - quality was great and prices cheap. Dairy products and meat were similar to BSAS, but most other stuff alot cheap - canned food/sweets/bread..

Electronics where alot cheaper too, not as cheap as states, but on par or cheaper than europe.

And you could get a midday meal for around US$1.50 to US$2 of soup and main (meat/rice/salad or veges/fried banana or fries) and fruit juice.

Security is way better than BSAS - police actually do their job.

From the cities mentioned Asuncion may be the cheapest.
From what I hear, worth considering are Panama, Belize and Ecuador as fairly inexpensive and safe places to live.
check internationalliving.com

Again depends on, age, family situation, age of children, or single status, also if independently wealthy!!

Thanks for the comments. Appreciated.
@davonz, I can confirm what you mentioned for when I was in Medellin. Just not sure of what the fairly recent prices were, especially shelter and food.

Asuncion is mentioned a lot.
ElQueso, are you around? I believe you have some recent info as IIRC it's your wife that is from there.
Is it a nice welcome fairly dramatic lowering of cost vs BA or only somewhat?
I'd imagine renting furnished apartments would be quite more challenging vs BA though, just not quite the supply.

Interesting in that just after making this thread yesterday, came across some typical Argentine (red tape) financial frustrations possibly jeopardizing me continuing at the reasonable 6 peso rate. If I have to go back to ATM withdrawals at the lower rate, BA really won't be as much worth it to me and moving on would seem even more appealing adding in also the other issues around. Going to Uruguay seems to be too much bother too.

...pondering.

The question isn't just about cheaper living though, is it? BA lacks in many, many ways but it offers many, many things that other cities don't have: a large urban city with relatively good public transportation (absolutely no need to own a car here), a great nightlife for a wide variety of tastes, TONS of arts and culture of every type, classes in everything you could want, and a thriving expat population that is big enough that I can live here for 5 years and may hear about many of the same people but it's not so small that everyone knows everyone. Those are the things that I love about BA (and it's definitely not a complete list!), and when I consider moving away I am really at a loss for what place outside of the US or Europe that could give me those things. All of this said, I haven't been to Columbia or any of the big cities in Brazil, so maybe there are some great little hubs, and I would love to hear about those places. But the things you guys have mentioned here like cheap electronics isn't something I think anyone is going to move for. And Asuncion? Does the place have anything to offer besides being cheap?

Like some, I live on a dollars and enjoy the lifestyle I can live here in BA, but there are things more important than just being cheap, I don't think anyone will argue that.

Oh and many of us take particular enjoyment in Argentina's very lax immigration... it's not so easy to just come and stay and occasionally go and come back in other countries...

So what are some places that are reasonable to live but still offer some of the great things that BA has? In terms of food, culture, public transport, social opportunities, etc.

Tez: you're right about the cultural life of BsArs but Bogota has it too and it's a way cheaper. The weather in BGT isn't that great though, therefor I'd recommend Medellin in Colombia: lot's of cultural events, great weather, respectful people, no "mala onda porteña" like in BsArs and a metro which is cleaner, faster and always works unlike these in BsArs.

I agree. The thing is, there are most of these aspects elsewhere and for less cost. I've noticed that before, but it's been a while and that's why I was checking in to see what others might have to say for recent info.

Also yes, sometimes finances (limited) can in fact be the determining factor. Basically, if I made more, I would just stay for the several reasons you mentioned Tez.

Just to add, I lived in Europe when I could afford it and only in my honest opinion, BA can't even compare to several spots there (minus the lax immigration of course). It truly is like night and day. Hard to explain unless a person has lived in both locations. But BA is BA, it's own place and that's totally fine. I didn't come looking for Europe or Asia of course. This time around I underestimated the impact of the inflation.

There are many people in the world living where they are and what is the number one reason for them? Finances (lack of in this case). So yes it can be a large factor. It's not that like like being on that type of budget, or that they would not desire to live in places that are more costly to them, it simply what is.

We've met the ones that want to go to the US, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc., but can't. And their reason is simply they can not afford it.

Back