Macri: Huge Tax Increases? "insensitive Capitalism"

Where does this view of Macri as the ultra neoliberal come from? It doesn't come from rhetoric since he's not saying anything like that. It doesn't come from the record, since that has been the case in the city in the last 8 years. It seems like most of this comes from a superstitious distrust of the wealthy which paints him as the heartless capitalist because he's the rich son of a billionaire.

Wrong. It comes, simply and plainly, from his people, from the people that surround him. His "team" as he calls it, is entirely and 100% from Cavallo's team: Sturzenegger, Melconian, Broda, Espert, etc, etc, etc, etc, they are all for the free market (even in other charges as education). They in fact worked for the Minister of Economy that was the main risponsable of 2001 crisis.

Superstition, pse...

I don't think for a second that Macri is honest but I admit that he has leadership skills. I am not at all convinced that Scioli has the character to break with Cristina and implement policies that involve reduction in the number of public employees etc. I see it as much more likely that Scioli will continue in a similar manner, just less ideological.

Macri has a vision of a better Argentina but does it extend to the majority of people - or is his vision limited to the minority of wealthy people? My impression is that he views the US as the model but does not really understand the US, for example he seems to see the US as having little labor protection, hence an environment friendly to employers. He sees fewer regulations and what appears to be something close to laissez faire capitalism. Does he also see that the US has checks and balances, a working judicial system, an extensive social umbrella? This is what worries me.

Does Macri understand that a successful country must have a strong middle class and opportunities for the poor to advance? I worry that the selfishness I see among many wealthy Argentines may influence his behavior if elected. Of the two candidates, Macri seems the only choice however I am worried that once again Argentina will go to extremes.

Macri does not want what the US want for them, but he wants what the US want for us. Thats the main problem with argentines "liberales", that they think the US want for us the same that they want for them.

Wrong. It comes, simply and plainly, from his people, from the people that surround him. His "team" as he calls it, is entirely and 100% from Cavallo's team: Sturzenegger, Melconian, Broda, Espert, etc, etc, etc, etc, they are all for the free market (even in other charges as education). They in fact worked for the Minister of Economy that was the main risponsable of 2001 crisis.

Superstition, pse...

After the elections in 2011 Cristina devalued heavily with Kicillof , Scioli WILL also devalue IF he wins ... he is not saying..??

Macri does not want what the US want for them, but he wants what the US want for us. Thats the main problem with argentines "liberales", that they think the US want for us the same that they want for them.

And what, pray tell, does the US want for 'us'?
To give away Vaca Muerta for free? To gift Aerolineas to the US govt, make it a subsidiary of American Airlines? Plunder the gold, take the women and children?
Please do not take offense, but at this point - after 10 years of a foreign policy that basically revolves around standing up to the US - the country has basically succeeded in making itself irrelevant to the US, and to most other countries including its neighbors for that matter.

Except China, that is, whose assessment of Argentina's relevance as anything but a new source of resources may be questioned.
There is, of course, that little incident in which our deranged outgoing president decided to poke fun at their accents while there on a state visit.
That they did not deign to respond shows class on their part, and but may reveal a bit about how much they care for this country.

(PS There's also Russia to some extent, which says less about Argentina's importance and more about the dearth of friends Russia has on the A-list).

This is Macri's honesty you talk about?

https://www.youtube....h?v=gHmLC-BGzK0

Damn...Macri lost a lot of hair. Put on a lot of fat too. And worse, changed his name! WTF is going on!!!

No Sturznegger is not Macri, but he is from the same party, and the rhetoric and tactic discussed and deployed in the video is very similar to that of Macri in the last debate.

Regardless, the point Sturznegger made in the video, far from dishonest, is correct: a debate is simply a poor forum to go into detail regarding the tough parts of one's platform, particularly so with a populace utterly unaccustomed to the format. Not going into the nitty-gritty of your policy at a debate where you get 2 minutes to speak is hardly grounds for accusations of lying.

Meanwhile, everything Sturznegger said about inflation at the debate was, as a matter of fact, correct and true. The government has presided over approximately 500% inflation over the past 6 years, has rarely if ever acknowledged this, and now uses the bogeyman of Macri's acknowledgement of the same as if Macri is devaluing - the height of hypocrisy. On the other hand...

While it's fairly obvious why it was smart for Macri not to go into details (see above), it's equally obvious that Scioli, being present, if he wanted, could have gone on the attack on this point himself. That's kinda the point of a debate, isn't it?

If Scioli felt that Macri was being disingenuous, and was willing to go for a debate rather than repeat one track in continuous play, he could have asked directly, "How do you plan to combat inflation without tightening the money supply, and bringing about the ajuste that you claim you will not introduce?" And we could then judge for ourselves if Macri's response was convincing or not. Scioli would then also be on record as defending his predecessor's record of generating inflation.

Rather than do any of that, he preferred hurling one-word bogeyman accusations at Macri. And then you have the nerve to talk about Macri's dishonesty?!

What is it about the K government that makes people lose their minds?

What is it about the K government that makes people lose their minds?

On a personal note, I watch people in the wine business in Argentina struggle much more than they should have to on the world stage, considering they have an excellent product that is in rather high demand. In 2014, Argentine wine production was up 32% while exports were down 12% - those numbers simply don't compute, unless you consider that the K government was making the flow of goods and capital impossible with their isolationist policies.

And what, pray tell, does the US want for 'us'?

You should study more of the US getting involved in Argentine politics. From Braden, to Dictatorships, to Washington Consensus.
They all played some rolles, you know? they all were important!!

Come on, read a little, there you go with these advances.

Oh, I almost forget. I laugh at this "the most of the countries are irrelevant to the US".

Vietnam, Korea, Irak, Afghanistan, Lybia, Syria, Kosovo, Nicaragua, Chile, Argentina, Cuba, should I go on?

Back