Maintaining a bank account in the US without a US residential address

Ciro

Registered
Greetings, everyone. I'm planning to move to ARG permanently, but I'd like to keep my checking account with US Bank. However, since I won't have a residential address in the US anymore, US Bank might not keep my account open. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get around this issue, as using the address of a friend or family member won't work for me.

Look up "virtual mailbox services", pick a provider, try it out, and then update your online banking profile details.

Look up "virtual mailbox services", pick a provider, try it out, and then update your online banking profile details.
Mailbox rental store addresses are tied to the store at which they are located rather than you, and therefore, banks will flag them as unsuitable for a bank account address.

Mailbox rental store addresses are tied to the store at which they are located rather than you, and therefore, banks will flag them as unsuitable for a bank account address.
This may or may not be the case for all providers of the virtual boxes. This is your best bet for what you are looking for besides someone here randomly saying "sure, use my uncle's address!"

Likewise, perhaps a virtual bank like Revolut would be less picky regarding address.

At the same time, this may not be a real problem. The bank might not mind you having a foreign address if you an american citizen.

This may or may not be the case for all providers of the virtual boxes. This is your best bet for what you are looking for besides someone here randomly saying "sure, use my uncle's address!"

Likewise, perhaps a virtual bank like Revolut would be less picky regarding address.

At the same time, this may not be a real problem. The bank might not mind you having a foreign address if you an american citizen.
It is a real problem, I am an american citizen and they mind having a foreign address.
Mailbox addresses, PO boxes, and registered agent addresses are not allowed. When banks are not able to have a proper physical address on file for your account, they will close or suspend your account after 30 days. About Revolut from the FDIC: It is important to be aware that non-bank companies are never FDIC-insured. Even if they partner with FDIC-insured banks, funds you send to a non-bank company are not FDIC-insured unless and until the company deposits them in an FDIC-insured bank.

It is a real problem, I am an american citizen and they mind having a foreign address.
Mailbox addresses, PO boxes, and registered agent addresses are not allowed. When banks are not able to have a proper physical address on file for your account, they will close or suspend your account after 30 days. About Revolut from the FDIC: It is important to be aware that non-bank companies are never FDIC-insured. Even if they partner with FDIC-insured banks, funds you send to a non-bank company are not FDIC-insured unless and until the company deposits them in an FDIC-insured bank.
Revolut alleges they keep the funds in Metropolitan Bank, which is FDIC insured and publically traded on the NYSE.

But, I don't have the answers for you. I tried. Let's see what the next guy says. Good luck.

PS: Final thought, and more complicated, but perhaps you could create an LLC wtih a virtual address and use that to open a new business bank account.

Last edited:
Revolut alleges they keep the funds in Metropolitan Bank, which is FDIC insured and publically traded on the NYSE.

But, I don't have the answers for you. I tried. Let's see what the next guy says. Good luck.

PS: Final thought, and more complicated, but perhaps you could create an LLC wtih a virtual address and use that to open a new business bank account.

Back