Maintaining a bank account in the US without a US residential address

I just went through the same problem. Mailbox companies require a state or federal id and they are strict about this so I used a relative to scan and forward my email.
Having a U.S. address has been invaluable for banking, brokerage, credit cards, Amazon, passport, etc.
Eventually I was able to assemble the documents required to get a state drivers license which let me open a mailbox at a scan and forward service.
There are still minor complications. When I sold some property in another state they reported it to the mailbox state who sent me a bill for taxes. Fortunately I sent them a letter saying that I was not a resident and that ended the matter.

Thank you for the info. Would you mind sharing the name of your bank?
The main institution I use is a Federal Credit Union, my secondary bank is Chase and I also gave them only my address in Argentina when I moved. When I expect cards I call them to give them instructions to send the cards and provide me with tracking numbers and I tell them that otherwise the cards will be "lost" on the way. In addition, the Vonage telephone line that I kept from my home in NY works fine to deal with them.

The main institution I use is a Federal Credit Union, my secondary bank is Chase and I also gave them only my address in Argentina when I moved. When I expect cards I call them to give them instructions to send the cards and provide me with tracking numbers and I tell them that otherwise the cards will be "lost" on the way. In addition, the Vonage telephone line that I kept from my home in NY works fine to deal with them.
I apologize for my mistake in asking the wrong question, I meant the name of your Credit Union. I am currently examining Alliant Credit Union and have sent them an email to inquire if they will open an account with an address in Argentina. Could magicJack be used for these purposes?

In addition, the Vonage telephone line that I kept from my home in NY works fine to deal with them.
Could magicJack be used for these purposes?
Vonage numbers are still considered landline (no text sms) and non-virtual. That is what I used in Argentina for over 10 years. It is also the least complicated for non tech people, and does not require a computer. $20 month is tough to justify if only need is occasional bank verification. MagicJack and the many many virtual numbers (Google Voice 👍) have been discussed too many times for me to add any other comments (dm if you do not find in old forum posts)

Last edited:
Vonage numbers are still considered landline (no text sms) and non-virtual. That is what I used in Argentina for over 10 years.
Could you please check your Vonage number at https://freecarrierlookup.com and see whether it says "Is Wireless" yes and Carrier name?

May be, you are just using banks that are not so restrictive regarding VOIP numbers.

Could you please check your Vonage number at https://freecarrierlookup.com and see whether it says "Is Wireless" yes?
May be, you are just using banks that are not so restrictive regarding VOIP numbers.
thanks for the link to the lookup service, though I know My Vonage is not a wireless. It was a MA Verizon ported to Vonage in late 90s or first 00. Some banks have a call-back to landline for the verify option, so this is my last resort number which always works with every bank. Secondly Vonage is a landline service. the extra taxes, 911 requirement, and high cost back that thought.
To continue, My google voice numbers work for some banks, but every few months they stop working at some banks, so I need to remove the number in their system, and add it again. My google Fi numbers (plural since they are free when not active) work at every bank, not at IRS. My t-Mobile prepaid is a grandfathered plan to only cost $5 per year top-up works every bank.

It doesn't matter, the phone databases are getting updated. What does it say for a Carrier?
My mistake. I forgot that I ported that number away from Vonage. Still Vonage is the one I recommend for non-technical people who want a traditional-ish USA landline without needing a computer. Both for ease of use and to avoid bank verification problems.

For a few years I have been on AWS Connect which cost me 5-10 cents per month to forward all 2FA MFA verifications, plus the many spam/fraud callers. The carrier can change, though currently routes through "BANDWIDTH.COM-NSR-10X". Definitely not anything I recommend for the typical user.

Back