Maintaining a bank account in the US without a US residential address

This is the same carrier as my Google Voice number has :).
Which gives more reason to believe there are other databases of virtual numbers that are not based on the telecom carrier.

Vonage numbers are still considered landline (no text sms) and non-virtual. That is what I used in Argentina for over 10 years. It is also the least complicated for non tech people, and does not require a computer. $20 month is tough to justify if only need is occasional bank verification. MagicJack and the many many virtual numbers (Google Voice 👍) have been discussed too many times for me to add any other comments (dm if you do not find in old forum posts)
In reply to your comment, I need to speak to banks over the phone through the Vonage line on several occasions and the banks call me too, besides other uses I have for that phone line. I am not a "non tech person" but it works just fine for me. Nowadays, those bankis also send me sms to my Argentine cell phone if needed, as a complement.

In reply to your comment, I need to speak to banks over the phone through the Vonage line on several occasions and the banks call me too, besides other uses I have for that phone line. I am not a "non tech person" but it works just fine for me. Nowadays, those bankis also send me sms to my Argentine cell phone if needed, as a complement.
Yes Vonage is just easy for any skill level without needing to think of anything. Easy to arrive in any country, plug in the little box to the airbnb modem/router, and connect a cheap cordless phone from the local store. Still after many years I decided to cancel to not pay the $20/ month

Yes Vonage is just easy for any skill level without needing to think of anything. Easy to arrive in any country, plug in the little box to the airbnb modem/router, and connect a cheap cordless phone from the local store. Still after many years I decided to cancel to not pay the $20/ month
Sorry a beginners question.

You subscribe to Vonage get a number that is ok . The little BOX you plug in can be mailed here? who provides it ?

You subscribe to Vonage get a number that is ok . The little BOX you plug in can be mailed here? who provides it ?
These are called Analog Telephone Adapters (ATA) and there are fewer and fewer options in general, and less so here. Grandstream HT801 or HT802 can generally be found on ML and will use any open SIP style VOIP service. Vonage's proprietary box is exactly this, but exclusively tied to their service and a bit more plug-and-play, but not available here and also requires the comparatively hefty subscription service from Vonage and only Vonage.

I am one of those who does in fact have good luck with the banks on both generic VOIP services and Google Voice, having both numbers on file with the bank for redundancy in case something changes with either the service or the banks. I also enjoy the ATA as well as the smartphone apps for using the numbers' SMS capabilities or when needing to call while on the go.

These are called Analog Telephone Adapters (ATA) and there are fewer and fewer options in general, and less so here. Grandstream HT801 or HT802 can generally be found on ML and will use any open SIP style VOIP service. Vonage's proprietary box is exactly this, but exclusively tied to their service and a bit more plug-and-play, but not available here and also requires the comparatively hefty subscription service from Vonage and only Vonage.

I am one of those who does in fact have good luck with the banks on both generic VOIP services and Google Voice, having both numbers on file with the bank for redundancy in case something changes with either the service or the banks. I also enjoy the ATA as well as the smartphone apps for using the numbers' SMS capabilities or when needing to call while on the go.
As a Skype user since 2006 I must say it is much easier and I've never had any problems.

Unless you have a sentimental attachment to using old landline phones, Vonage doesn't offer any advantages over alternatives like Google Voice or Skype.

Carride used it for call verification via the landline. I believe that he would achieve the same result with a Google Voice number if he requested a call, rather than an SMS, for verification.

As a Skype user since 2006 I must say it is much easier and I've never had any problems.
Ease is relative...i can't say I do much/anything to maintain these phones...but I'm glad Skype works for you. I was mainly addressing Rich One's confusion regarding Vonage's box.

I brought it from the US, since I already had it but when I needed to replace the device, I had it mailed to a friend to was travelling to BA. Even Best Buy used to sell it but calling Vonage, they send it for free.

As a Skype user since 2005, I concur. I use both the Skype free version and the Skype subscription
to contact both of my banks in the U.S.

Back