Major Differences Between B.A. and Thailand

BKK to BA

Registered
Hi all
Im currently living in Thailand for the last 5 years,but will be relocating to B.A. by the end of the year.

Ive read many threads here and many things expats complasin about also hold true here in Thailand.Im wondering what major differences are to be expected in Argentina as opposed to life in Thailand...besides the obvious.

Thanks in advance

You can escape the heat and humidity in BA by heading south in the summer - not possible in Thailand...

There are long lines at grocery stores, banks, even McDonalds... Argentines are used to waiting and they don't seem to mind.

In SE Asia, especially Laos and Cambodia, I would get cravings for cheese, chocolate and wine. You can find all of that here and of good quality.

Both Thailand and Argentina suffer from a lack of variety in dining choices but I find it is worse here. One of the unexpected benefits of living in BA is that I lost 10kg in six months (92->82) and without even trying. Also the ethnic restaurants, that are here, use less spices to appeal to local tastes.

Some things are amazingly similar - broken pavements everywhere and the quick realization that pedestrians are mere peasants to any of the noble classes driving a car.

Lack of spicy food, but good thing there is barrio Chino in Belgrano..

The only thing that seems to be cheaper here is the wine. Never succeeded in getting any decent bottle for less than 450 baht in Thailand. Other than the obvious - food and climate - expect a lot of the same in terms of 'things that could be improved'. One other plus - if you wish - is that confronting someone with a problem is not frowned upon (no 'maintain harmony at all cost' attitude). This doesn't mean that it is addressed, let alone solved. :-(

Stockpile consumer electronics. They cost a fortune in BA, and selection is pretty limited. Bring as much with you as you possibly can, paying top dollar for second rate tech here is annoying. And bring lots of spices and learn to cook if you are fond of thai food, there's not much variety unless you're prepared to do it yourself.

Good luck with the move.

is wonderful, and the choices are way more plentiful than in Thailand. As much as I love Thai food, you can have it here, and you will not find Argentine tira de asado in Thailand, for sure.
Joe you must be ill, I would check with the doctors, as you are the only person who lost weight here. Most people gain a lot of it upon moving here, but, then, you can hit the world class gyms of Buenos Aires and start dancing nights away.
If there are things to complain about here, those would not be food, climate and nightlife!

jp said:
Stockpile consumer electronics. They cost a fortune in BA, and selection is pretty limited. Bring as much with you as you possibly can, paying top dollar for second rate tech here is annoying. And bring lots of spices and learn to cook if you are fond of thai food, there's not much variety unless you're prepared to do it yourself.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks to everyones imput so far..a few questions:

What can I "legally" bring in as far as electronics go without getting nailed for tax @ the airport?I mean if I bring in a 52" Sony flatscreen new in box theyre gonna charge me no?

Secondly and so far most alarming to me is the rental situation.Im planning on coming in indefinetly on a tourist visa,and doing border runs(same as in Thailand) but from what Ive read it is quite difficult to find an affordable (700-1200usd) apartment in a quiet safe area without shelling out the entire lump sum upfront.....What are the realities of this situation and what are my options?

Thanks in advance again!

I found an interesting site where you can compare one country to another based on a number of criteria. Thailand and Argentina can be seen side by side in the below link:

http://www.swotti.com/countries/versus/thailand-12103_argentina-20601.htm

I have never been to Thailand so I can't personally make any direct comparisons. However, keep in mind inflation is running about 20-30% a year here. If you expect your cost of living to improve then you might be disappointed. The food here is limited as other have mentioned, the beef is quite good but you can't eat it 7 days week. I personally find the food monotonous, little variety, not much flavor. I suspect crime is probably more a problem here as well but I have no direct knowledge of the situation there. I would be interested in your impressions of Argentina after you have been here for a while. Good luck.

If you want I can put you in contact with a US man who ..will do the reverse after living 1, 5 years in Buenos Aires he will go to Bangkok in January.

Back