Make Up Of Our Ba Community

Canadian girl living in B.A. with my Colombian boyfriend. We have been here 9 months. We lived together in Ecuador prior to our move here. Still adjusting to big city life. Going to start the immigration process to Canada in the next few months. Anybody else in the process of moving their Latin lover back to home turf?

Argentine girlfriend, work overseas and spend my holidays with her in Argentina. Undecided whether to move back to Australia or stay in Argentina, the grind is getting to me a bit in Argentina though.

This is very interesting to me and I wish we could get everyone to reply but I am sure, as someone else said, very few will see it. I'm from the States, been in BA three years.

From Long Island as my handle says (google it, it will give you goosebumps). Spent 4 years in New York CIty in university, came down here in 2002, never left. Met husband in 2006.

I was born in Wichita KS, but spent most of my adult life in Houston TX - so to the locals I'm *from* Texas, as my identity is more in line with Texas and maybe they've heard of it. I've been here since 2008, and married a local. She was born in Paraguay but lived here since she was 3, so she looks Paraguayan, but is very Argentine in spirit, accent, culture, etc, and recently acquired her Argentine citizenship. I started here in Monserrat, but now am in zona sur, Florencio Varela, which is very different from Capital. I'm sure I was one of the ones who could relate the most when in the What-do-we-look like thread someone put a picture of Steve as the Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. It's a bit like that sometimes. However, I do love it here, and feel very at home, very much a part of my new extended family, and I have no plan or aching desire to go back to the US, though likewise I don't totally rule it out.

I built a house behind the in-laws house with my father-in-law, a very Argentine thing to do I think. My padrastro taught me the ropes and helped a lot at first, but then I went on to do most of the rest of it with my own two hands, which was quite workout for my skinny self who is used to sitting at a desk coding C# and SQL, etc. It was much needed exercise and it's kind of cool to know the local building style inside out, though if I ever build anything else I would definitely prefer to supervise it, as it's a bit much after a while- very heavy work. Those doing it full time here are usually a bit broken down by the time they hit their 40's or 50s. In the end though there is something very satisfying and personal about living in a space that you created. Though it is small and simple, it brings a kind of contentment that is difficult to describe. Wish you the best on that Frenchie - I think you will likely enjoy the experience.

I enjoy this community, and it seems to me there is something different about it compared to the typical forum - an underlying current of worldliness, warmth, intelligence, and that intangible something - maybe that we are searching for something, and if we are lucky, have found something so different from where we started.

"Mama mama many worlds I've come since I first left home..."
- Brokedown Palace - Grateful Dead

Egypt born, Canada raised, and now living in buenos aires with my Argentine husband!
love all of the above places!

Country boy from Alabama. Emigrated north to Philly in middle-school. Military career, then MBA and spent 10 years living and working around Europe. Came here on vacation in 2006, got married, planted myself. Into fringe sports like telemark skiing, inline speed skating and bow-hunting big game.

Dr. Pepper 'ho.

American, born in DC, grew up in Seattle. Came to see the sights, stayed for the wine. Coming up on 4 years now.

moved here from rural oregon 4 years ago at the same time we retired...spent the first 2 years in different barrios in BA,then moved to the chica sierras outside of cordoba....(back to rural life) now we are renting a big house for the same price as a small apartment in BA, I get to go horseback riding whenever i want, and still get a bit of outdoor cafe society ,but we do miss all the live music/weird culture events of BA....certainly dont miss the USA

Back