Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

I expect the below could change with a new administration here, allowing the UK to not seem to be caving under Argentine pressure.

esllou said:
It probably would be far cheaper to include argentina in it, but I think the UK is not too happy with argentina's attitude towards all of this (especially wanting to always talk about sovereignty) so I fully expect them to go solo with this and not include them in any way. Yes, it makes it more expensive, but once the depot is built (in a sparsely populated part, like in west falkland) it's done - then the difference between a tanker voyage to the UK from the falklands or from argentina is just a day or so.

it's all guessing now anyway...they haven't found anything yet :)

As a minor point of interest, I have been to Cabinda. I went in 1998, as a programmer/supervisor, installing an enterprise application I'd written related to controlling the warehouse on a drilling rig. I have to admit that at the time, I didn't pay much attention to what was going on in Angola at the time.

It's a small area in the middle of the Congo that that was controlled by Angola but there were people who thought the area should be its own little country and liked to attack the Angolan troops in the area. But I really don't know much about the actual situation in the area - my trip there was does not leave me with any fond memories and I never felt a desire to know more about it.

I flew into Cabinda on a twin prop, very small, passenger plane. It had one row of seats along the fusilage, 8 or 9, in the front on the left side, the back on the right of the plane. The seats were metal frame, rusting, with padded boards nailed to the seat and back.

We were met at the airstrip by an employee in a jeep. We actually drove inside the fence, along the double barbed wire fence where the mines were located. Huge, beautiful trees with spreading branches were all around. Green everywhere. Little monkeys flying through the trees. It was really cool, but that fence on the right side as we drove along kind of itched.

The company I worked for was a drilling contractor working for Chevron at the time. We operated two rigs out of Cabinda for Chevron.

We got to the Chevron part of the compound where the oilfield personnel were housed. Little shacks with three rooms. A small gathering room, a small kitchen, and a room with three two-person bunk beds and foot lockers. On each bed, at the foot, was a thick, heavy blanket. It was obviously not a normal blanket.

I asked the guy who took us to our particular shack what kind of blanket it was.

He answered "it's a Kevlar blanket. When you hear gunfire or shelling, grab it, roll off your bunk, get under it and just lay there until it's over."

Luanda was a shit hole at the time. We had to ride around in Land Rovers with at least two guards armed with automatic pistols. The Land Rovers were needed to get through areas of the city where buildings had fallen due to explosions and craters in the middle of the steet, etc.

It may seem I went a little off-topic here, but oil companies go through a lot of shit to get the oil they have been contracted to get out of the ground and they get it refined. They put up with the rather moderate issues I described above (in not very good detail), as well as things like pirate attacks and crew takeovers (usually, by contract, the companies have to use local labor exept for the rig managers and certain positions related to maintenance and the actual science of drilling and such) where people get hurt or killed.

Argentina isn't going to cause much of a problem to getting that oil out of the ground when related to many operations that go on in Africa and other places around the world.

enjoyingmylife said:
I expect the below could change with a new administration here, allowing the UK to not seem to be caving under Argentine pressure.

The Ks are using the issue to rile up the people. They're not doing too much yet. I think the rhetoric is going to ramp up more the closer the elections get next year. I don't expect it to go too far - just to get everyone behind the government, as Cristine takes a page from someone like Chavez's playbook and point to how she stood up to the Big Bad Bully (the UK) and is not yet successful, but will continue the fight when Nestor gets re-elected.

I can't really tell if the government really thinks they are ever actually going to control the Falklands. Britain just seems to shrug it off and go on with what it (and much of the rest of the world) thinks is its right and lets Argentina shout. Probably thinking, if they'd just have asked politely, we may well have obliged but now that the islands turn out to be worth something after our nearly two hundred years of stewardship and possession, we simply choose not to react to our rude neighbors.

They don't believe they'll be able to, nor desire to acquire the Falklands. Menem restored ties with the UK and so Kiki has to do the opposite, maybe to distract the people, but more likely, as pointed out above, to satisfy some actual oil-rich neighbor up north in his sinister, wider, global spat.

esllou said:
the oil will be going back to the UK. There's simply no reason to "call in" on the argentine coast on the way back. It would actually lengthen the trip back.

This is just bullshit because the UK don't really need crude oil now, it makes much more (economic) sense to transport it to Argentina(or Chile) and sell it in South America but that is only possible if you have the help of Argentina

And there is no way you can transport huge volumes of crude oil from the Falklands to the UK in a short term. You need many ships and they can't be produced in the short term. Transporting it back to England would make the oil to expensive as well

Futboljunkie said:
This is just bullshit because the UK don't really need crude oil now, it makes much more (economic) sense to transport it to Argentina(or Chile) and sell it in South America but that is only possible if you have the help of Argentina

And there is no way you can transport huge volumes of crude oil from the Falklands to the UK in a short term. You need many ships and they can't be produced in the short term. Transporting it back to England would make the oil to expensive as well

The UK really needs the oil. In five years time the UK is going to have major energy issues. The country also desperately needs the money from the tax, more so then Argentina.

Futboljunkie said:

the uk most certainly does need the oil. North Sea oil returns are already diminishing (oil peak was ten years ago! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_oil) so the oil in the falklands will be going straight to the UK. I'm not sure why argentina thought it would be any other way - why sell oil when you need it yourself.

and, let's play pretend for a little while. Let's say the UK had oil coming out of its ears and could sell some extra - you think the UK would be keen to sell oil to argentina with its current behaviour?? Hmm, don't think so.

Moonwitch said:
The UK really needs the oil. In five years time the UK is going to have major energy issues. The country also desperately needs the money from the tax, more so then Argentina.

5 years is not now and in 5 years from now is a long time. Either way there is no way you can transport crude oil in large quanities in a cheap way to England within 5 years.

I don't know how they do it in the UK but I assume that most royalities and taxes will go to the Falklands. Maybe they can send some back to pay for the military pressence there

esllou said:
the uk most certainly does need the oil. North Sea oil returns are already diminishing (oil peak was ten years ago! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_oil) so the oil in the falklands will be going straight to the UK. I'm not sure why argentina thought it would be any other way - why sell oil when you need it yourself.

and, let's play pretend for a little while. Let's say the UK had oil coming out of its ears and could sell some extra - you think the UK would be keen to sell oil to argentina with its current behaviour?? Hmm, don't think so.

Not with the current behavior but goverments change and there is no way the UK can easily transport crude oil back to the island, Transporting it to Argentina and Chile and selling it there is by far the easist and most economic method

Back