Marriage and Union Civil in BA

mcfwalker

Registered
This is the situation:
I'm currently living in the US. I've been dating a Argentine woman for the past 6 months. She's traveled back and forth twice in that period of time.

We've decided to get married here in the US. We'd like to have this happen very soon. Are plan is to move to BA late this year.

One challenge is that she entered into a Union Civil in BA in 2010. This union has not been formally dissolved and we need to know if it jeopardizes the marriage here in the US. We've reached out to an immigration lawyer, the Argentinian Consulate, and the Registro Civil, with everyone pointing us to someone else.

Research online has provided us the legal definition of a Union Civil but it does not clearly state whether the contract is binding (i.e. it has to be formally broken), if it holds the same legal authority as a marriage, whether it prevents a marriage from taking place, etc.

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation or have a greater understanding how Union Civils are handled in BA?

Thanks in advance.

Well, this is something a family attorney from the State where you are going to marry can answer.

Generally speaking, the marriage involves a lot of consequences, among other, the civil union. The marriage is the whole thing while the civil union is only a part of the marriage: the economy society rights and benefits.

So, there is a loophole for sure, but it makes no sense to take the risk because bigamy (to marry twice) is a crime. If the civil union is with you, then there is no issue.

So, I suggest that first she legally finishes the civil union.

Regards

Also, I hate to bring bad news, but to legally marry an Argentine in the US she should enter with a fiancé visa that takes about 11 months to acquire and a lot of paperwork. There are other ways to do it (like if she was a student in the US for example) but if you get married in the US while she's on a tourist visa it can cause complications later in life.

the fiance visa is for moving to the us. If this is not your plan, then the best option is to marry first here. I undestand that an agent from the embassy should be at the ceremony, just to double check that the marriage is real. Then she can travel with any visa and you can marry again there.
Regards

Back