Marriage in Argentina - Rule Changes Aug 2010

Smcali23

Registered
Hiya - I'm not sure how many out there this will affect, but there have been some changes in the rules for marriage in Argentina, which are causing a bit of havoc (the usual, eh!).

Basically, you used to have to book your civil wedding exactly 4 weeks before the date and go to the registry office that was closest to your home address. Without warning they changed the rules so that you now have to go from 29 working days before the date you want up to 10 working days before the date you want. You can also now go to any registry office to get married.

Sounds better in principle, no? However, what it basically means is that if you turn up 4 weeks beforehand (without knowing the rule change) you have a high chance of not getting the date you want as they will have all been taken.

When we went to the registry office yesterday it was absolute chaos as everyone had turned up to get married in 4 weeks time, but we were immediately told that there were only 4 places left for that day. Luckily, we managed to get one of the four, but otherwise it would have screwed our plans somewhat (especially as we already had the date engraved on our wedding rings!)

We were lucky, but there were a hell of a lot of couples there who couldn't get their date and the whole thing turned into a bit of a riotous mess!

There are a couple of other details, for instance that you can now apparently book your place in the queue on the internet. We were fourth in line and there were four places left for that day and just as we were about to go in a lady turned up with the same ticket number as us, apparently one she'd booked online. But hey, there was no way in hell she was taking our place - we got to the office past 7 in the morning and she turned up at 10ish.

Anyway, as the Argentine government seem to have no plans to advertise this change, I thought it best to post the info on here for anyone who might need it. Just another arbitrary change to cause people stress, I guess.

Back