Marriage, Visa, American Citizenship

mhenna11

Registered
Hi, I am new. Living in the capital.
First Question:
Will the US revoke my citizenship if I get a another citizenship in another country?
My fiance has two passports, he was born in Ohio to Argentinian parents, and (he was 5 years old) they moved back to Argentina, and there he obtained a citizenship in Argentina. He left Argentina when he was older 1995 to the US and came back Dec 2010. He did make visits every year to Argentina through out that time. He didn't have to pay the U$S135 new fee that I had to pay,with my American passport.
Second Question:
My 90 days are almost up, should we just get married now, or is it better to get stamped out in Uruguay, we wanted to wait, and get the right paper work before getting married. I have almost everything, but its a long process, and it will take a lot of time more than 90 days, I believe.
Note* My passport is clean, hasn't been stamped out yet.
Last question:
I am visiting my family in NY for two months in May. I am wondering if I don't get my visa renewed, and we decide to get married, take a chance with the paper work , which here can take forever here, will I have problems getting back in. Thank you.

mhenna11 said:
Hi, I am new. Living in the capital.
First Question:
Will the US revoke my citizenship if I get a another citizenship in another country?

No

mhenna11 said:
Second Question:
My 90 days are almost up, should we just get married now, or is it better to get stamped out in Uruguay, we wanted to wait, and get the right paper work before getting married. I have almost everything, but its a long process, and it will take a lot of time more than 90 days, I believe.
Note* My passport is clean, hasn't been stamped out yet.

There is no reason to get married in a hurry. You can go to Uruguay to get a new 90 day visa or you can go to migraciones to extend the one you have, but you should do so before it expires or you will have to pay an extra $150 pesos in addition to the $300 fee (up to 30 days after the expiration).

mhenna11 said:
Last question:
I am visiting my family in NY for two months in May. I am wondering if I don't get my visa renewed, and we decide to get married, take a chance with the paper work , which here can take forever here, will I have problems getting back in. Thank you.

Actually, you are one of the few who will not create a greater problem for yourself if you get the extension at migraciones (though you will find a number of posts telling others not to go there). Nonetheless, if you leave the country before the extension expires, you must wait until it does to return to get a new 90 day visa. It looks like you will be in NY long enough for that to be the case. When you return with a new 90 day visa you will have plenty of time to get married without worrying about any visa issues.

Someone posted here that you cannot get married here on an expired tourist visa, but I think that an attorney said that it could be done...perhaps with an order from a judge(?). If you renew your visa at migraciones or go to Uruguay you certainly won't have a problem getting married after that.

I don't think anyone has ever posted about having a problem getting back into Argentina after paying the overstay fine just one time.

You may find some useful information here: Residency after marriage

Back