Marriage, Visas And Things To Consider

KevinJH

Registered
So I just went to migration to renew my Tourist Visa for another 90 days. I am good until January 31st. However, I noticed they hand wrote the following: Ultima Prorroga.

My partner are planning to go to the Civial Registry as soon as possible to get hitched. Will I get a different "temporary visa?" We are planning to travel to the US in December and return beginingg of February (spending holidays with my family). Is this Ultima Prorroga going to give me a problem?

What will I receive once registed as married? and /or how do I handle this last Tourist Visa stamp?

Thanks,
Kevin

Sorry I can't answer your question... but I was wondering, how many times did you renew your visa before you got the ultimatum?

Ultima Prorroga in this case means that you can't renew that particular visa again. A visa-on-entry is good for 90 days, with a single 90 day extension. In the end, it doesn't necessarily mean anything because immigration is very lax here. Don't worry about. Besides, in this case, you'll be leaving before the visa expires, so you won't have to pay the fine when you leave.

The other issue is quite different, and quite large, and tons have been written about it in the forum. Search something like "permanent residency married Argentine" and you should get some hits, I'd think.

You won't be getting a visa at that point, you would be getting residency, which is a different thing. Married to an Argentine, you would qualify for permanent residency.

Are you getting married for the residency status?bit drastic if that's the main concern??

Ultima Prorroga in this case means that you can't renew that particular visa again. A visa-on-entry is good for 90 days, with a single 90 day extension. In the end, it doesn't necessarily mean anything because immigration is very lax here. Don't worry about. Besides, in this case, you'll be leaving before the visa expires, so you won't have to pay the fine when you leave.

Do you (or does anyone else) know what would happen to someone who has received their "ultima prorroga" and then leaves after it expires (paying the fine) but wants to return "immediately" (within one or two days)? I do know that if you leave the country and return before the ultima prorroga expires you will not receive a "new" 90 day visa when reentering.

You won't be getting a visa at that point, you would be getting residency, which is a different thing. Married to an Argentine, you would qualify for permanent residency.

Even a 90 day "tourist visa" reflects a type of residency: residency transitoria (this also includes acdemic, medical, and migrant worker visas).

Residencia temporaria may be granted for one year and are commonly referred to as work visas or the visa pensionado and financero (among others).

Residencia permnente sounds like it is permanent but those who have recently received the "new" DNI report a 15 year expiration date.

When you are granted residencia permanente after having residencia transitoria or temporaria it is called a cambio de categoria.

The expiration date of the permanent DNI, as my lawyer explained to me, was to ensure that the person was still living here and simply needs to be renewed. He specifically told me that it doesn't mean you lose your residency. My sister-in-law's friends' citizen DNIs (as well as her own permanent residency DNI) expired when they turned 16, and I believe they also expire at some later date as well, though I'm not certain about the latter.

90 day tourist visas allow someone to work here under certain circumstances. I didn't realize "migratory workers" was one of the categories, but I'll certainly take your word for it. For sure, people are allowed to travel here to attend business meetings, seminars, do consulting work, etc, under a 90 day tourist visa, which count as working but not as being resident here nor getting paid as a resident and is supposed to be short term. Since KevinJH would qualify for a permanent residency and presumably would be living with his partner here, I figured it would be silly to try to get a work visa when it would be so much easier and more sure to just get residency, which includes the right to work. I'm not sure if temporary residency programs would fit under "marriage" either, but maybe so. I got permanent residency directly, never went through temporary status (except for the precaria stage itself while the permanent residency was being approved).

As far as leaving and re-entering after the "ultima prorroga" I have no direct experience nor knowledge of that, but I'd bet an awful lot on it being the same situation as people who are leaving to do the "visa run" which is almost certainly nothing (except for those who have done it so much they fall under the eye of immigrations). But I wouldn't swear to it.

In the situations I know of, I don't think the people overstayed their "ultima porroga" (they may have, I honestly don't know) but I do know 3 people that had it, left and returned without issue. In my experience, the only time it's occured has been when asking for the extension at migraciones and simply means you can't get another extension at migraciones within the year. In fact..they may have even written it in mine when I had the tourist visa and renewed it at migraciones a few years back. I'll have to go check. But anyway, it's NBD as far as I know.

Have been informed we will need legal support to register an overseas wedding, wedding ertificate must be presented to court and validity assessed. Anyone any experience ? An expensive tramite?

Thanks

90 day tourist visas allow someone to work here under certain circumstances. I didn't realize "migratory workers" was one of the categories, but I'll certainly take your word for it.

Here's the info I found on the Argentine miaraciones website: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?mercosur_transitoria

TRABAJADORES MIGRANTES ESTACIONALES

ARTÍCULO 24 INCISO E LA LEY 25.871, DECRETO 616/2010

Quienes ingresen con el propósito de realizar trabajos que, por su propia naturaleza, dependan de condiciones estacionales y sólo se realicen durante parte del año, con plazo de permanencia de hasta TRES (3) meses prorrogables por otro período similar.

Back