Marriage

mhenna11

Registered
My tourist visa is almost up, in 4 days, to be exact. My partner wants to make the appointment for us to get married. But this would mean, me getting a visa extension at migration office, awful place. I could go to Tigre, and cross over, but I am scared they won't let me back in, I have been stamped out 3 times already. I heard from this forum that the gov't is cracking down on overstay tourist, and also if you have been stamped out more than 3x. We would like to get married, and make the appointment on Monday, what are the chances of getting this all done, without being deported out. I am little paranoid after reading these post.

There are many people here who have traveled to Uruguay more than 3 times and had no issues. I cannot guarantee anything, but I don't think you'll have any problems. If it were the case, I'm sure someone would have posted it by now. :p

What I have heard is if you overstay your visa 3 times (paying the fine and having paperwork done) you *might* not be allowed back - but this is a rumor and I do not know of anyone denied entry because of too many overstays. I have 2 myself and was never warned about a 3rd strike. :confused:

Someone else can better explain the marriage process, but I believe you do want your passport up to date, at least for your appointment and marriage day. (This is from a year ago, which might as well be 10 years in Argentina, but I think the information is still good.)
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/12518-marriage-expired-tourist-visa.html

Despite all the supposed crackdowns on permatourists, there have never been any verified reports. Why? Because the crackdown doesn't exist ;) There have been people doing it for YEARS without any problems. From your post, it sounds like you've been here less than a year - don't worry at all about it.

Go to Migraciones (dreadful place) if you want or happily go spend the day in Colonia or Carmelo or someplace nice and get it up to date for your wedding. Maybe go shopping for something blue for your wedding :)

(It takes at least a month IIRC before you can get married - there are blood tests and appts)

And feliciaticiones on the engagement!!

If a foreigner (with a DNI that indicates estado civil as divorciado) was married and divorced in the USA and wants to get married in Argentina, is it necessary to provide certified copies of the prior marriage license and /or divorce certificate from the USA (with the Apostille/translated in Argentina)?

steveinbsas said:
If a foreigner (with a DNI that indicates estado civil as divorciado) was married and divorced in the USA and wants to get married in Argentina, is it necessary to provide certified copies of the prior marriage license and /or divorce certificate from the USA (with the Apostille/translated in Argentina)?

I don't know the answer to that one, but a question in return. How did you get your foreign estado civil noted in your DNI?

steveinbsas said:

99% sure the answer to that is yes as I remember a friend of mine having to go through getting the certified divorce papers for his marriage here.

Don't go to migraciones. A friend had three stamps in her passport and went there last year and got the última prórroga stamp.

I have 11 stamps in my passport, have never been to migraciones, and have never gotten more than a dirty look at either Ezeiza, Newbery or coming back from Uruguay. I have never heard any confirmed cases anyone getting it anywhere other than migraciones, actually.

People, take off your tinfoil hats. AFIP may be trying to get its shit together, but being a permatourist is still as easy as ever. People have been speculating about a crackdown for years and it hasn't happened yet.

To get married, you have to have a valid visa, that much is for sure. When we got married last year, I made one last trip to colonia beforehand to extend my visa. When we were on the way back, they asked me what I was doing in Argentina, I told them that we were getting married the next month and they were satisfied and waved us through with no issues. But given my experience in Tigre, they may not be so welcome to the idea, they do seem more strict there.

You have to schedule the appointment to get married at least a month in advance. When you do you will get a paper showing the date and all that. We took this with us just in case we had any issues crossing over.

I've read in a few places about having to book at least a month in advance. Out of interest, what's the longest ahead you can book a wedding? Would 6 months be possible?

ndcj said:
I don't know the answer to that one, but a question in return. How did you get your foreign estado civil noted in your DNI?

Actually it isn't noted in my DNI, The only documnets in Argentina that have my estado civil are the escrituras for my properties and the title for my car. Both indicate soltero (as opposed to divorciado) because the gestoria and the escribana never asked.

I do remember stating my estado civil as divorciado when I applied for residency (5 years ago) as well as citizenship (early this year).

Back