Marriage?

nickname303

Registered
My question is probably redundant, but I couldn't find any definitive answer on these forums.

I'm currently in a masters program and going through the steps to get residence/dni. At the same time, my girlfriend has suggested we get married as a quick route to residence. she's nice like that.

My question then: is there any advantage to one over the other, student visa/dni vs. getting married. Common sense tells me that with marriage you get more benefits (obra social, etc.) but I don't have anything to back it up.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Best,,

Nick

If you get married you will be eligible for permanent residency immediately.

Citizenship (brought up by travelbug) will take longer but it's also possible.

I is not possible to "upgrade" temporary residency to permanent residency based on a student visa, but if you get a job with a work visa you can change to permanent on the third renewal of the work visa.

Note; Others have posted that it's possible to work with a DNI issued with a student visa, but if you want to get a work visa that leads to permanent residency the employer will have to be registered with migraciones.

do u WANT to get married?? if u do then there is no problem but otherwise stick with the student visa route give your relationship another year or 2 and u can always get married then.
i am married to an argentine and the only advantage that i can think of is (as u said) the health insurance but not sure if the student visa allows u to work or not?

Call me old-fashioned, but "stuff" (visas, jobs, obra social, random benefits) can easily come and go, whatever. I really belive that marriage should be between two loving people who are committed to being life-long partners with each other for the rest of their lives. I know that people can change, that there are reasons that people wind up divorcing, but people who get married should ideally do it with the mentality that they are only going to do it once in their lives.

There are always ways to get around the visa/DNI/residency issue (especially here of all places!). However, I think that it's a slap in the face for people who can't have a legally recognizable marriage (ex: for legit couples dealing with complicated immigration issues such as in the United States, cases of gay marriage, etc.) to consider getting married soley for a quick route to residence, just because you can. My two cents.

PS- Can you imagine how crazy and complicated it would be to get a legal international divorce if your marriage does not pan out over just a residence issue that could have been resolved using a far simpler method? If buying a property or getting a visa is a stressful a bureaucratic hassle here as it is, it could very well turn into a nightmare never-ending gauntlet of obstacles for you to get one.

Get only married if you love each other, or you might wind up paying in spades.

thanks everyone for your helpful comments, and my apologies if i was a bit blithe in my initial post on the marriage issue!

A few of my friends (mostly cubans) have married argentines just for a visa, usually not even being in a relationship. A few have stayed married. A few got divorced after getting perm. residency. As long as you're not worried about asset protection and you and you're girlfriend know what you're doing (married for visa) then I'd say go for the marriage route.

Call me old-fashioned, but "stuff" (visas, jobs, obra social, random benefits) can easily come and go, whatever. I really belive that marriage should be between two loving people who are committed to being life-long partners with each other for the rest of their lives. I know that people can change, that there are reasons that people wind up divorcing, but people who get married should ideally do it with the mentality that they are only going to do it once in their lives.
You know I find it funny that in your second paragraph you say that a convenience marriage is a slap in the to people such as gay couples, when your first paragraph reads a lot like the justification for barring gay marrige.

If someone else gets married for obra social (or to someone of the same sex), it does not diminish the value of your traditional "old fashioned marriage", so please, let them be.

Back