Me Quiero Ir

I take it back!...the bit about worse than brazil and most other countries in the region. I had seen statistics which painted a different picture, but have seen some company internal statistics around the high rate of auto claims.

People here have made some really great comments about culture shock and stress. The one thing I would like to emphasize is having a daily exercise routine, whether a early morning run or an hour of yoga. For me, that has always helped to get myself out of those bad places.
Nancy

Canada 6,8 x 100.000
Us 11,4
Chile 12,3
Argentina 12,6

Uruguay 21,5

Brazil 22,5

Considering how narrow streets are here, modest/poor budgets it is impressive that it can compare to the N.A. standards with streets and highways wide enough for jumbo jets to take off, and budgets that dwarf all Argentina. Free style driving. Doing so much with so little.

ArBound...what are your interests?
What do you like doing?
I know how you feel. I still get the 'black dog' after 8 years and I'm sure it will still creep back from time to time.
Focus on what you like and what you're good at.
Heck, it's easy to give advice, harder to take it.
If I feel like that I fire up the bike and zoom of into the campo for a few hours.
My other half understands this.
let us know how you get on .

Yes, we have all been there. Your feelings are normal. Take a few days off and go somewhere nice. Be good to yourself.

The expat experience tends to run along these lines:

Arrival: OMG I love this place! It is so fantastic! The people are so warm (wahahaha of course because you're only interacting with tourism staff)! I could live here FOREVER!!!

3 months: Hmmm this place isn't as cheap as I thought it would be, I mean the price of X has gone up X amount since I got here. And cabs, their expensive, how do people even get around this city?

6months: WTF they're raising my rent AND they want me to pay another commission even though they've done NOTHING but print out another copy of the contract?!?! These people are total a-holes! Stab you in the back, and when you're walking down the street no respect, and when I ask for something they treat me like crap because I don't speak much Spanish. At least I'm not spending so much on cabs since I figured out public transport.

1 year (if you make it that far): Ok so I went home for a visit and you know, it was nice, but.... boring. I went out for lunch with some friends and it was like in and out -- as if they couldn't wait to get out of there, I don't even think we were there for 2hrs. And everything so ORGANISED, I can't just call them and do something last minute, we have to book for Saturday on Tuesday and then these crazy people want to meet for dinner at 6:30. Customer service back home is FANTASTIC but life... well it's just...boring.

2 years: So most of my friends who I met when I first got here are gone, but I dunno, I just can't seem to get out of this place. Might be that I've met this great guy/girl and you know their family is nice. And it's great, maybe I don't have a tonne of friends here but the few I know are sort of in the same experience as me, and it's great that I can just go over there or for lunch on a weekend at 1 and suddenly it's 10pm and the times just gone by shooting the shit. Sure I still can't stand going to microcentro, the dogshit outside my front door is driving me crazy, and my neighbours are effing insane, but you know, there's something about this place.

5 years: So man, wtf? I'm still here. It's nice and all but christ those flights are killing me. I'd be happier to go home but the prices. And now it's me + my other half and they need a visa and I'll be footing the trip. Forget it, easier to just take a holiday in Brasil.

7 years: Christ, what the hell is wrong with me? I feel like we've been talking about leaving for years but just can't get it together. My friends back home are all getting fantastic jobs, half of them managed to get a mortgage, we're here struggling to pay our rent. But we went home for the first time in 18months and it's like wow, so CLEAN. So we've made a big decision, no, we're not leaving, we're just moving to another barrio.

9 years: Ok, I'm obviously a sick twisted motherf--er. What the hell is wrong with me? This country is a mess but now I'm in so deep, and I'm stuck on a local salary now, saving to get out of here is killing me. And I couldn't believe my friends were complaining about the prices on things there. I mean, most of the stuff is soooo much cheaper than Argentina. They don't know how good they have it.

10 years: We're leaving, that's it! We're LEAVING.

15 years: Yup, still here.

Wow that's depressing. It shows signs of depression for about 15 years... :eek: I'm sure we could arrange for loans for folks who really want to leave if all they're waiting for is enough money to buy tickets...

Wow that's depressing. It shows signs of depression for about 15 years... :eek: I'm sure we could arrange for loans for folks who really want to leave but all they're waiting for is enough money to buy tickets...

Ha, I didn't think of it as depressing when I wrote it. Maybe dark humour yes. But hey, that's what you need if you're going to make it through here (to be clear, I'm only on 8, but now I've got a bit of a "c'mon let's go for 10!!" feeling. And now my husband is talking of leaving, I'll be kind of disappointed if I don't make it to my "Decada Ganada" wahahahahahaha ganada? Si, I've gained a big whole in my finances).

Back