Medialuna Dough?

That's interesting - do you know if the Pillsbury dough was specific for medialunas, or was it their standard crescent roll dough?
Yes they had different kinds, one was for medialunes. I used to buy it

I just found this http://www.generalmillsfs.com.ar/ btu I think you need to buy large quantities. They sell everything uncooked and frozen.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-615747452-medialunas-congeladas-_JM

If you live in the good old USA you can buy it in any supermarket. It comes in a tube or roll, that you can separate in triangles very easily, and it is good for several pastries.

If you live in the good old USA you can buy it in any supermarket. It comes in a tube or roll, that you can separate in triangles very easily, and it is good for several pastries.

Thanks Henry, I do live in the US, but the crescent roll tubes they have here are not quite the same as medialunas I have had in BA (at least, they don't taste like the ones I've had in BA). There are a couple of Argentinian bakeries in Queens and New Jersey that sell medialunas, but not convenient for me to get to. I thought if it was a product you could get in BA, I would have my wife freeze it and bring some back in her suitcase - then I could conveniently pop a few in the oven for a little taste of Argentina with my morning coffee.

The Pillsbury stuff is definitely not the same.
We bring a dozen or so freshly baked medialunas every time we come to the U.S. and keep them tightly wrapped in plastic. You can keep them in the fridge for 5 days or so or freeze them for longer. Pop them in the oven to warm them up in the morning. Of course they aren't perfect, but better than the versions I've bought locally (and I'm too lazy to make them). I think it would be a real challenge to keep the dough even semi-frozen on that long flight.

The Pillsbury stuff is definitely not the same.
We bring a dozen or so freshly baked medialunas every time we come to the U.S. and keep them tightly wrapped in plastic. You can keep them in the fridge for 5 days or so or freeze them for longer. Pop them in the oven to warm them up in the morning. Of course they aren't perfect, but better than the versions I've bought locally (and I'm too lazy to make them). I think it would be a real challenge to keep the dough even semi-frozen on that long flight.

Thanks, I didn't even think about freezing the baked medialunas. I think that's what I will have her do. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Probably a strange question for some, but wondering if anyone knows if there is any place you could buy medialuna dough? My wife is in BA for a week, and I thought she might be able to bring some frozen dough back with her - not sure it will stay frozen for the flight, but I think its typically quite cold in the cargo hold where the checked bags are stored. Yes, I suppose I could make it here - but it wouldn't be quite the same (need the healthy lard that I'm sure they use there).
I hear it's pretty easy to make.

We freeze baked medialuna's regularly when we buy a couple dozen of our favorite. They reheat well, I'd go with that option.

This thread gave me a chuckle. We just moved our US home from Houston to Northern California, and I recently went off to buy some lard for empanada dough. Five supermarkets later, and nothing. At the fifth one, I asked an employee if they sold it, and she very politely walked me over to the Crisco (I educated her). In TX, lard is available in any supermarket, right next to the butter - I guess Californians are afraid of the real deal.

Thank god there's a local Latino market - their lard is rendered fresh on-site.

Medialuna dough is almost exactly like croissant dough but with more sugar. If you attempt to bring the dough back to the States frozen, and it begins to thaw, which it most likely will, the yeast will activate and it will quickly spoil. Pillsbury crescent rolls are not even close to either medialunas or croissants. One thing to consider is looking for pre-made croissant dough in the U.S. and adding an extra sweet glaze on top of the baked product like they do in BsAr.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Expat Life 7
mmoon Expat Life 42
N Expat Life 11
mmoon Culture 6
N Food and Drink 8
Back