Medialunas In The Usa?

Well it's just that medialunas, as with the pizzas here, are ubiquitous and in 90% of places not worth the effort. I too enjoy a good medialuna - it's just that a good medialuna is not the norm here. Am I supposed to base my definition of a medialuna (or pizza) on those few places where they are done well or on what the vast majority here eat (and rave about)?

If you were to offer me a croissant from a random cafe in France or a medialuna from a random cafe in Argentina I know what I would choose every time.

We could imagine a lost tribe somewhere that enjoys eating turd sandwiches. That's fine, just don't ask me to say it's all relative.

Starbucks produce some of the finest sweet hot and cold UHT milk beverages in the world. They do a hot milk which has a mild aroma of coffee and a hot black water drink with hints of cheap coffee.

That pig looks great in lipstick.

...and the little girl working the Starbucks counter in Houston who had no idea what an espresso was. True story, and my last ever journey into one of those places.

If you're ever near NYC, Argentina Bakery in Union City, NJ makes sandwiches de miga, empanadas, medialunas, alfajores de maicena and a lot of other Argentine baked goods. Just take the number 51 jitney bus from port authority (about a 10 minute bus ride) to intersection of JFK boulevard and 16th street and walk a few blocks over to Bergenline Avenue.
When I am in NYC [one of the great dinning capitols of the world] why would I ever eat that tasteless shit.

Well spare a thought for Rosario expats. In that city a toasted ham and cheese sandwich with ketchup has just been declared 'Patrimonio Cultural'
"El Carlito" será declarado Patrimonio Cultural de Rosario - lanacion.com
El concejal de la Coalición Cívica-ARI, Carlos Comi, explicó que "es parte de la identidad gastronómica de esta ciudad". El autor del proyecto agregó que cuenta con el aval de todo el cuerpo legislativo porque el Carlito "es parte del ADN de los rosarinos".
1948184w300.jpg

When I am in NYC [one of the great dinning capitols of the world] why would I ever eat that tasteless shit.

Agreed! The empanadas here in my opinion are horrible anyways, compared almost all the other countries in latin america.

Agreed! The empanadas here in my opinion are horrible anyways, compared almost all the other countries in latin america.

Argentina has some excellent empanadas, though they can vary considerably in quality. I won't touch a fried empanada, though.

The funny thing is that this Argentinian restaurant in Queens has much better food than ANYTHING I ever ate in Buenos Aires. If Argentinian food actually tasted like what they serve at the Boca Juniors, Argentina food would actually be quite decent. Unfortunately that is not the case. Boca Juniors had to adjust the cooking to meet the standards and taste of the local latino community in NYC.

Here are your medialunas in SF: http://www.vengaempa...ir/?page_id=320, in the Mission District.

You can even get a kale empanada!

Went to Venga in SF today, and I will report back that their medialunas were very good! Not awesome, they were hot, fresh and satisfied my craving. They also have Choripan, which my family loves, so I'm sure we will go back and try it at some point. The empanadas didn't look nearly as good as El Porteno, and the alfajores were sad (and covered in coconut), although Peruvian ones are better anyway.

Thanks again for the rec!

Went to Venga in SF today, and I will report back that their medialunas were very good! Not awesome, they were hot, fresh and satisfied my craving. They also have Choripan, which my family loves, so I'm sure we will go back and try it at some point. The empanadas didn't look nearly as good as El Porteno, and the alfajores were sad (and covered in coconut), although Peruvian ones are better anyway.

Thanks again for the rec!

I didn't really recommend it, just found it online. Is it close to BART?

Back