Median Porteño: 38 & earns 4200 ARG

el_expatriado said:
I don't believe it. Unless they are counting people who don't work.

+2 What he said.

4000 is the minimum you could expect to pay if you want some one make a 8 hours shift in any position, that is non unionized or in black, then take all the employs that are unionized that wins far more than that and put the proprietaries of business and apartment, and then add to that the millionaires that live in recoleta and some others neighborhoods here in Buenos Aires and then plus the professionals, and do the math.
Is true the accountant don't win that much when they start because there are to many egresing each year from the university but once they earn some experience they get far more money and that is not taking into account that all the accountant i know here that are a lot, work and at the same time they get their own client that they carry in the free time at work. In any case accountant are a particular case that first need to acquire experience or clients to add value in their cv.
In few words the number is not accurate to this days, and quite frankly speaking is ridiculous to say that the average for example in recoleta is 5600 or in the south neighborhood is 2000 that is just ridiculous now a day, try to hire some one for a 8 hour shift for 2000 and they will laught in your face and the same for the other numbers, the people that live in villas here in buenos aires is only 5%, they are not a significative group of people in Buenos Aires city to make the average go so low.
Remember what i told you people will never answer the request here telling how much they win they all will always say far less than what they make, is usual in this country that everybody is trying to avoid paying tax or become a target for a thieve. They don't trust the government don't expect that they will answer to a government organization how much they are wining per month, and less with moreno trying to tax all of them as hard as he can.
One last think starting here with 6.000 in account and finance is not a bad start this area is not unionized and there are plenty of them here, but if you consider that you get at least 25 to 35 % rise in the salary per year, and unless all the people here is just starting to work and is on his 21, this comment is worthless, if you do 4000-6000 in this areas when you start add to that the rize per year and you will have in few year far better number, and the mayority of the people in this city is not just starting to work, a acountant of 30 years or more is doing lot more money than a assistant or junior acountant or is already having his own study or clients.

trennod said:
If you are earning 6.000 pesos a month NOW straight out of college here you are doing well. The finance and accounting graduates in my company (its a multinational) make about 4.000 pesos en mano (a touch under).

No, I'm not saying they made this straight out of college. However, several 3 or 4 years out of college are doing quite well with these mandatory raises. Some employees that have been working 7 years or so are doing quite well.

My girlfriend was on 4500 pesos + commission for the last 18 months. She just signed for a new job of 6500 basic + commission and she´s happy. This is with 10 years experience in IT sales and marketing, and a degree in marketing.

earlyretirement said:
No, I'm not saying they made this straight out of college. However, several 3 or 4 years out of college are doing quite well with these mandatory raises. Some employees that have been working 7 years or so are doing quite well.

Sorry I misread you there, my bad.

Retail staff would expect to make around 4,000 - 4,500 ish (maybe a little bit more, less depending on commissions or the local).

I understand your point Lamarque, I can give you one example: after around 2-3 years in the firm you would probably be making what this article suggests is the median here. For the equivalent position in Australia, the guys with about that much experience are sitting there abouts on the Australian median salary (in AUD obviously). That is just one quick check and is not including the fact that there is ALOT of people which sit on the minimum wage, here. Think about the hospitality industry, generally lowly paid compared to other sectors but it is massive here.

In regards to inflation, it does not mean that because employee A has 1 more year experience than employee B, employee A is earning more by 25-30%. Thats perhaps their average pay increases per annum but does not represent the differential. In addition, here is some food for thought - not everyone is earning annual pay rises which are equivalent to private inflation estimates. You would need to look at the real wage to confirm that.

I would be surprised if this figure is way off, thats all I am saying.

trennod said:
Sorry I misread you there, my bad.

Retail staff would expect to make around 4,000 - 4,500 ish (maybe a little bit more, less depending on commissions or the local).

I understand your point Lamarque, I can give you one example: after around 2-3 years in the firm you would probably be making what this article suggests is the median here. For the equivalent position in Australia, the guys with about that much experience are sitting there abouts on the Australian median salary (in AUD obviously). That is just one quick check and is not including the fact that there is ALOT of people which sit on the minimum wage, here. Think about the hospitality industry, generally lowly paid compared to other sectors but it is massive here.

In regards to inflation, it does not mean that because employee A has 1 more year experience than employee B, employee A is earning more by 25-30%. Thats perhaps their average pay increases per annum but does not represent the differential. In addition, here is some food for thought - not everyone is earning annual pay rises which are equivalent to private inflation estimates. You would need to look at the real wage to confirm that.

I would be surprised if this figure is way off, thats all I am saying.

You are talking of inflation and real salary, in this analysis they talk about nominal salaries, they tell you that the average is xxxx number that is nominal if we agree in the rest, then is just obvious that this number is badly underestimated, remember and average is equal to all the incomes even those who make 100 million and divide it, if we agree that the minimum is around 4000 (the hospitality industry as you say like restaurant employs after 1 year of work make around 5600 of course depending on the place and depending on the experience but still is not a number that will make the average go down, in fact if the average is being said here that is 4800 then there is nothing to say, and people maybe is doing the minimum but only when they start, the raise is mandatory and try to not give them a rise and watch what happen)

In any case if the minimum is only for young people just starting is not common that people get that money after 10 years and this is a city where loot of people is proprietary of something, apartment or little business or big ones or studios or whatever, how can you say that the average is 4800 or in the particular case of recoleta 5600 when you know that all the people there win math better than the average, and that almost all the millonaries, football players, famous in this city reside there? and if that information is wrong is obviously wrong the other information, as the average in the south of the city that say is around 2000 when in the south almost all the workers work in the industry or in unionized works types that start always with a higher salary than the normal, even a cartonero make better than that, according to cqc study in the street 2 years ago a cartonero was doing around 4300 in average per month and that was 2 years ago. Off course is a very bad work and they don't have social security or benefit but as we are talking about nominal income in hand then that doesn’t matter in this case, is simple not real to put the average of the south in 2000, then if in the south is unreal 2000 and we agree that in recoleta is unreal 5600 we can agree that this average is not accurate at all.
Here it doesn’t matter the pucharge power, that is out of discussion, we are just talking of a nominal number that the indec interviewers arrive as a conclusion after asking the same people that don't want to say that they win a lot to a government institution specially as we all know half of the income and the economy in this country go in the black market.

It just can't be that low... I don't believe it. 4500 for 38 years olds, are you kidding me? Make it 26 years olds and I will believe it.

I dont know what retail jobs you are speaking about. My friend is a sales associate at Kenzo Patio Bullrich and the sales associate salary is minimum wage (2500 pesos) because they earn a supposed ¨high percentage¨ commission due to the items being high ticket. Most of the high end retailers are on the same structure.

Again, the title says MEDIAN Porteño (promedio) not necesarily meaning the typical porteño, although I do find it believible, the salaries here are quite low, especially taking into account that the article/study also says that this individual is living at home and not paying rent.

YanquiGallego said:
I dont know what retail jobs you are speaking about. My friend is a sales associate at Kenzo Patio Bullrich and the sales associate salary is minimum wage (2500 pesos) because they earn a supposed ¨high percentage¨ commission due to the items being high ticket. Most of the high end retailers are on the same structure.

Again, the title says MEDIAN Porteño (promedio) not necesarily meaning the typical porteño, although I do find it believible, the salaries here are quite low, especially taking into account that the article/study also says that this individual is living at home and not paying rent.

I am not sure about Kenzo, but my gf works at a high end ladies fashion store in Patio and commissions make up about 10% of her salary (generally) and her base wage is a bit under 4,000. But there are variations, depending on public holidays etc as well. Anyhoo.

Lamarque I understand the article is talking in nominal terms other people brought up the inflation I was only responding to that. Most of the rich and famous living in Capital are now over in PM. Recoleta is old news.

In terms of the linking of experience to salaries, it will depend on the company and industry. From what I have seen internally and at my clients, the average age of professionals here are considerably higher but many have been in the same position for years given the (lack of) opportunities. Thus, they are not getting receiving anything other than inflation increases.

Back