Medical insurance question

"Does anyone have a better idea?"

Start dancing the tango. It's great exercise, and you will enjoy holding elegantly dressed senior women in your arms and moving together to beautiful music. Tango is why I moved to BA exactly 25 years ago today.

Change your thoughts about what might happen and get on with living a great life in this beautiful city.
Good attitude.

Private health insurance has to cover you, si o si, and if it doesn't you can denounce the company to the Superintendencia de Servicios de Salud. They also have to get the Superintendencia de Servicios de Salud's authorization for a higher monthly cuota, and can't simply make one up on their own.

Private health insurance has to cover you, si o si, and if it doesn't you can denounce the company to the Superintendencia de Servicios de Salud. They also have to get the Superintendencia de Servicios de Salud's authorization for a higher monthly cuota, and can't simply make one up on their own.
Very interesting. My father is here and first we are going through the nightmare that is Migracion. But regarding healthcare, we were quoted an obscene amount by OSDE. Over 3,000,000 per month. He is 70 but with minor issues, nothing major. I think that OSDE just wanted to get rid of us. I did not know that they just can't conjure up quotes out of the ether. I think that we will return and mention Superintendencia de Servicios de Salud and see what kind of a response we receive. Thanks.

Very interesting. My father is here and first we are going through the nightmare that is Migracion. But regarding healthcare, we were quoted an obscene amount by OSDE. Over 3,000,000 per month. He is 70 but with minor issues, nothing major. I think that OSDE just wanted to get rid of us. I did not know that they just can't conjure up quotes out of the ether. I think that we will return and mention Superintendencia de Servicios de Salud and see what kind of a response we receive. Thanks.
Yup, they're trying to tell you to f-off. My advise is to do the process, and confirm that the cuota has been authorized by the Superintendencia (all in writing) because I'm almost certain it hasn't, and even if it has, you can appeal it as being unreasonable if I remember correctly.

The problem with Argentina is if you try and do the right thing/by the books you're punished (this extends beyond trying to get health insurance). Prepaga companies aren't allowed to deny people affiliation for pre-existing conditions for example, but they do it all the time, and the government never punishes them, the Superintendencia simply orders them to affiliate people without punitive measures for breaking the law. Then prepagas act all indignant when people lie on the intake forms. (Not suggesting you do this, but I've heard of several cases of people doing this).

Before the xxxx hit the fan regarding medical insurance premiums here in Arg I mentioned that I had bought a catastrophic insurance plan in the U.S. that provides money if I get cancer or have a heart problem. I am 78 and getting any insurance outside of Medicare is impossible. So now I pay $320 per month. I would receive $70,000 if I had cancer and $35,000 for a heart problem. I could use the money any way I choose. And anywhere. Does anyone have a better idea? ( I choose the amount of coverage)
I am drawing attention, again, to my previous post. I have had repeated visits to Hospital Aleman in the past 7 weeks regarding Sciatica problems....MRI....CTG....Xray and per visit fees. These fees are not what I consider onerous. Perhaps around $20 to start with.(The MRI with anatheseologist was $420) (chest x-rays about $45) (lab tests -6-about $30) Obviously, I cannot compare these expenses to what they might be for life-threatening problems but....it seems to me that insurance expenses are sky rocketing and actual in hopital charges are not.....maybe maybe maybe. People are now referencing medical premiums north of $600 per month here on the forum....so we are talking about yearly premium of $7000 and I would bet we will soon hear of premiums going toward $10,000 a year. The older and more vulnerable population is in the process of life-changing events. The insurance that I signed up for seems even more attractive than when I first signed up for it.

I am drawing attention, again, to my previous post. I have had repeated visits to Hospital Aleman in the past 7 weeks regarding Sciatica problems....MRI....CTG....Xray and per visit fees. These fees are not what I consider onerous. Perhaps around $20 to start with.(The MRI with anatheseologist was $420) (chest x-rays about $45) (lab tests -6-about $30) Obviously, I cannot compare these expenses to what they might be for life-threatening problems but....it seems to me that insurance expenses are sky rocketing and actual in hopital charges are not.....maybe maybe maybe. People are now referencing medical premiums north of $600 per month here on the forum....so we are talking about yearly premium of $7000 and I would bet we will soon hear of premiums going toward $10,000 a year. The older and more vulnerable population is in the process of life-changing events. The insurance that I signed up for seems even more attractive than when I first signed up for it.
I knew a US citizen over ten years ago who had a heart attack and went to a very good private clinic in BA. He was there, resident, for at least a month. As I recall his bill was around $50,000 USD which US insurance paid. I don't remember what the exchange rate was then. I'm sure the same care would be in the hundreds of thousands in the US without the assurance of a private room which is standard in private hospitals in BA. I suspect costly longer term care rates might be negotiable in Argentina but that is speculation. I doubt they could ever reach US prices, however.

I knew a US citizen over ten years ago who had a heart attack and went to a very good private clinic in BA. He was there, resident, for at least a month. As I recall his bill was around $50,000 USD which US insurance paid. I don't remember what the exchange rate was then. I'm sure the same care would be in the hundreds of thousands in the US without the assurance of a private room which is standard in private hospitals in BA. I suspect costly longer term care rates might be negotiable in Argentina but that is speculation. I doubt they could ever reach US prices, however.
I do not know if my $70000 insurance would cover such a problem now...I just don't know. I am talking about B.A. of course.

Back