medical tourism and general money handling question

Technically, you are supposed to declare anything over 10.000, whether its cash or travelers checks. If you do decide to bring funds in cash, please err on the side of caution and arrange your own transportation from the airport to your apartment, instead of having the doctor's office or someone that knows you will be carrying a large amount of cash arrange the transport.

You can either go to the Manuel Tienda stand at the airport (it's on your left, when you come out from customs, right after the doors) - they are a remise (car service) company or take a taxi from the airport taxi stand - that will be right in front of you after you go through the area where the remise stands are and then exit into the main terminal area.

Both are reputable, will give you a fixed price in advance and are trust-worthy.

It's just better to be safe than sorry.

Wishing you all the best with surgery and a quick recovery :)

Hi Erica -- lol maybe it's because I'm from Vancouver (the West End at that) that I had clued in long ago what surgeries you were probably going to be getting for 30k... good luck, the facial surgeries are meant to be a painful recovery but with luck you will be thrilled with the results.

However, take heart, BA was built for recovery from cosmetic surgeries! It's common for the women getting their faces nipped and bodies tucked to shut themselves into their apartments while they recover, only to walk out looking fabulous a few weeks later.... You can get EVERYTHING by delivery here -- food (from anywhere from McDonald's to the best restaurants in town), valet laundry service, some pharmacies will deliver etc. So you really can recover without having to leave the house too much.

Anyway I hope everything goes well, feel free to drop me a PM if you need any help.

Erica

Transferring declared monies to buy a property through an official exchange house is between 0.75% to 1.5%. This has to be approved first and can take up to 60 days to get the documentation ready.

Other monies brought in incur a rate between 2 to 4 % and there are a few good exchange houses that may be of assistance. Western Union only allows you to transfer 7500 US dollars a time and charge over 5%

Good Luck

There is another on-line money transfer service called Xoom which is cheaper than western union. Maybe a mixture of methods might be the best. Its probably going to be a hassle but.........welcome to Buenos Aires where this applies to most things!!!

Back