Medications Up Way Up More Than 50 %

They could save a lot if they didn't spend so much advertising directly to consumers in the states and New Zealand.

Right on!
I'm one of those few people who sometimes finds a well done commercial entertaining. But on my most recent visit to the states I was horrified at the number of pharma commercials there were. And after they're done (quickly, VERY quickly)stating all their potential side effects you realize you might die from just using the drug. Honestly, during the evening news hours, every other ad was for an erectile dysfunction, depression or pain relieving prescription medication. And that was on CNN. Heck sure need a lot of funds to research and develop those expensive commercials and pay for their air time. Probably spend MUCH more there than in their product R&D. I respect the need for product research and development funding, but suspect one ad costs more than five years salary for their top researcher....how come the same meds are and were so much cheaper here in Argentina, and without all the commercials?.....

They could save a lot if they didn't spend so much advertising directly to consumers in the states and New Zealand.

Right on!
I'm one of those few people who sometimes finds a well done commercial entertaining. But on my most recent visit to the states I was horrified at the number of pharma commercials there were. And after they're done (quickly, VERY quickly)stating all their potential side effects you realize you might die from just using the drug. Honestly, during the evening news hours, every other ad was for an erectile dysfunction, depression or pain relieving prescription medication. And that was on CNN. Heck sure need a lot of funds to research and develop those expensive commercials and pay for their air time. Probably spend MUCH more there than in their product R&D. I respect the need for product research and development funding, but suspect one ad costs more than five years salary for their top researcher....how come the same meds are and were so much cheaper here in Argentina, and without all the commercials?.....

Only been to the states once and i couldn't believe the number of these adverts that were on tv. Its ridiculous and should never have been allowed to happen.

I agree. I have never lived in a country where pharmaceutical advertising is legal, and I think it is absurd. And the way drugs are dispensed in the US is probably symptomatic of that culture. My sister is a Pharmacist and will be the first to criticise many problems with the pharmaceutical industry.

Probably one of the largest issues is publishing bias, although many people are unaware that this even exists, it's heavily discussed in the scientific community. Again, here is another brilliant TED talk discussing the issue : http://www.ted.com/t..._prescribe.html

As for the 50% increase in costs, even for local manufactureres, since pharmaceutical manufacturing is hardly labour intensive but requires many chemical and high tech imports, I would assume most of their costs are denominated in foreign currency. Seeing that 1 year ago a dollar cost 5 pesos and now it costs 7.8, a 50% increase over a year is perfectly in line with the rise in costs due to devaluation. This is the inevitable inflation that occurs with a devaluation.

Let's do the maths. 7.8 / 5 = 1.56 so if they were importing $1000s worth of chemical input into the manufacturing process a year ago, that same amount will now cost 1000 * 1.56 = $1560.

Data: http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=ARS&view=1Y

The companies will preserve their profits. If the price is too high, it's the government's responsibility to subsidise it, not the company's responsibility to operate as a charity. If you try to force them to sell their product at a loss, they will simply shut down operations and more somewhere where business is sustainable...

Back