Medicus Or Swiss Medical??

Noruega

Registered
I have read basically everything on the board about health insurance from the last few years, and while concensus is that OSDE is best, it is too pricey for me. I am now trying to decide between Medicus, with their expat plan, or Swiss Medical. I would go for the "second to lowest" plan with either of them, so that I could use hospitals outside of their own ones.

Both seem good, from reading here it seems they both have gone down a little bit over the years, and that Swiss Medical might be slightly more prestigious (not right word...) than Medicus, while Medicus is a little less expensive. I also like that the price stays the same, well, it adjusts for inflation but does not go up with age.

I went to talk to the person who administers the expat plan with Medicus, but forgot to ask here what hospitals were included outside of Medicus. Does anyone here have the "Gold Plan - MTB" with them and could tell me that? It is the plan that costs 848 pesos.

I need to just get off my butt and do this already, so Monday I will sign up with one of these. Any advice or recommendation appreciated! Thank you!!

I left Medicus because of the dental plan. I went to OSDE. It was the night and day. Medicus dentists were nothing, a very poor quality. Once a dentist from Medicus told me they paid almost nothing to them. It was 2002, we didnt have inflation, and we had just had the devaluation, so 1 dollar = 3 pesos. She told me Medicus paid them 14 pesos for piece worked.
There were not good dentists, and in their place, in Larrea and Paraguay, the people who work there are all very young.
When I left, a woman called me asking why, and when I told her it was for the dental plan, it was like she already knew, "Oh, yes, the dental plan" she said

I dont know nothing of Swiss Medical (I think they are good). For sure, the dental plan cant be worst than in Medicus.

Speaking of Medicus - anyone know what the sign up fee is for the expat plan? Was looking at their rates and they're so much cheaper than OSDE (assuming website is correct) that I am considering them again.

I don't know the details on this, but I had an expat friend who dropped his OSDE for the same reason, switched to Medicus, was all excited , and dropped them within the first year....I'm curious if anyone else has heard of a downside of Medicus, and what that might be, because it sounds too good to be true!

I had OSDE through work (loved it!!!) but switched to Medicus when I stopped working. The big downside of Medicus is the admin / support side of it. The amount of running around required with Medicus to get authorizations, book appointments etc is frustrating, but the medical professionals I have used with this plan have all been top rate (paediatric dentists are fine, not used adult ones...). You can see the hospitals outside of their own ones on their website. Choose the option Cartilla and follow the steps.

My boyfriend had it years ago (I think through a job her had) and he told me that one of the doctor's dubbed it "mierdacus" in his presence. Sorry to sound jaded but that's all I know. He now has one of the best Swiss Medical plans through his job and is very satisfied. I pay my own for Swiss Medical Nubial Clasica and am pretty satisfied. My dentist is so-so but I only go because he's nearby. My bf goes to the same one (he has more options with his plan but it's for the convenience of location) and at first we thought he didn't care because his exams are really fast and he wasn't saying we needed any work, he seems to really not want to do work unnecessarily just to make some cash. But then my bf did have some dental problems which the dentist fixed well. Some doctors I've seen (a TERRIBLE obgyn that I saw only once when I lived nearby her office in Almagro) were not good but I don't think it reflects on my plan, just that I am stubborn and only go to people whose offices are nearby. Some of the other docs I've seen (dermatologist, obgyn, general, kinesiologist) have been fine. Not amazing but not terrible. The plan started at around 580 with IVA (I can't remember when i started it, I think maybe March or April 2013) and now it's 700 with IVA.

Sorry for my slow reply but thanks so much to all of you for answering! I think that today I will go sign up for Swiss Medical. Medicus sounds good too and the price is certainly good, but if the admin etc. is really complicated then that might be a good reason to go for Swiss. I should have done this ages ago but better late than never I guess. Gracias!!

Thanks Noruega - I had that page but doesn't say what the sign up fee is. No worries though, after doing some more research, we're going to stick with OSDE.

I left Medicus because of the dental plan. I went to OSDE. It was the night and day. Medicus dentists were nothing, a very poor quality. Once a dentist from Medicus told me they paid almost nothing to them. It was 2002, we didnt have inflation, and we had just had the devaluation, so 1 dollar = 3 pesos. She told me Medicus paid them 14 pesos for piece worked.
There were not good dentists, and in their place, in Larrea and Paraguay, the people who work there are all very young.
When I left, a woman called me asking why, and when I told her it was for the dental plan, it was like she already knew, "Oh, yes, the dental plan" she said

I dont know nothing of Swiss Medical (I think they are good). For sure, the dental plan cant be worst than in Medicus.

Sorry to mention but OSDE is the same as Medicus. Lots of bad proffessionals listed! :(

Back