Meeting Women (to date)

Roxana said:
Let me give my grain of sand. As an argentinian woman who lived abroad, my main conclusion is that there are universal issues, you cant be there following a script because it wouldnt work out, however you need to have good lines to follow. A woman likes the man to be charming in every step, and I mainly agree with what was written by Bajo_Cero and French Jurist. As you know, women are intuitive, so a woman perceives that the guy is a good person, and then she feels comfortable with him. You dont need to lecture her on any issue. Also, there are few situations where you need to be sensitive about cultural diversity. Recently I met a British guy at a milonga. Firstly I told him about my interest in the history of the tango, he replied that it doesnt exist at all, he kept saying that the tango is like the salsa and you need to know that there are several styles. Imagine my response. He answered that England does have history because it has more than thousand years of life, America has more 200 years of history, but that Argentina doesnt have any history at all, because this country has only 100 years of life. He ABSOLUTELY lost me, I dont want to waist any second of my life with a guy like him, besides the fact that he is handsome and has the typical british charm.

You just need to have the good vibe inside you, and you will find a partner/partners.

Be aware of the strong anti-american feeling (or political ideology) that some argentinians have. I have argentinian friends who dont want to have to hang out with a foreigner at all.

Your main winning point is that there is an stereotipe that argentinian men, specially in Buenos Aires, are chantas and lossers in life. So, keep that in mind when "selling" yourself to THE special woman. You can flirt to get a coffee or a life with her, who knows???

Best of good luck, and let us know about your achievements!!!

Roxana . Not all British guys are like the one you met - most are actually quite normal !!!

Yes, of course. I do not like to generalize or stereotype people.

Roxana said:
Recently I met a British guy at a milonga. Firstly I told him about my interest in the history of the tango, he replied that it doesnt exist at all, he kept saying that the tango is like the salsa and you need to know that there are several styles. Imagine my response. He answered that England does have history because it has more than thousand years of life, America has more 200 years of history, but that Argentina doesnt have any history at all, because this country has only 100 years of life. He ABSOLUTELY lost me, I dont want to waist any second of my life with a guy like him, besides the fact that he is handsome and has the typical british charm.

Typical British charm? Hey, some of us Brits have some basic manners! He sounds more like he was actively setting out to offend you, frankly. If he'd been saying those things to me, I'd have taken about a minute to decide he was a total arsehole.

I'm no smoothie with the ladies (although Johnny and Diskosis will probably tell you differently, and I do realise my coterie of female friends here is the main reason they'll both be at my housewarming tonight), but even I'm aware that if one wants to pick up girls, it's not a great idea to open with, 'your country's an utter joke, you know.'

Gaucho Sam said:
Typical British charm? Hey, some of us Brits have some basic manners! He sounds more like he was actively setting out to offend you, frankly. If he'd been saying those things to me, I'd have taken about a minute to decide he was a total arsehole.

I'm no smoothie with the ladies (although Johnny and Diskosis will probably tell you differently, and I do realise my coterie of female friends here is the main reason they'll both be at my housewarming tonight), but even I'm aware that if one wants to pick up girls, it's not a great idea to open with, 'your country's an utter joke, you know.'
I know Gaucho Sam well and his success with the ladies (well, lady) is convincing proof that an anti-Charlie Sheen type can be successful. Diskosis also employs the "what me ?" approach quite well.

Anybody have any tips for meeting younger girls from a slightly higher social stratum? I don't mean to sound elitist but since I've been here I've found the girls (or guys) that I've met in bars to be fairly uncultured. Not that that's a fault on them and most that I've met are really great people but its kind of difficult to have a relationship with someone who doesn't share your interests.

I went to Spanglish twice. The organizer told me that on weeknights the majority are foreigners and on weekends, most of the attendes are locals.

After the event, spontaneously most of the people went out for a slice of pizza and a disco. It was a cool atmosphere. I met a nice guy there.

Most of the locals I spoke to at Spanglish are university students or just graduated students who want to practice their English.

I have an English friend who moved here a few years ago to live with his Argentine girlfriend (they met whilst both studying in Madrid). He's got a couple of good Argentine male friends who speak fluent English, but go along to Spanglish and pretend they've only just started learning, in order to pick up girls. Sounds like a relaxed enough atmosphere (although I was put off by the fact one has to pay to get in, whereas entry to somewhere like the Gibraltar is free, and it's generally just as easy to find people to practice languages with if you want to).

As another Argentine born who lived most of her life abroad, definitely you need to be less "nice", more pushy and more assertive in all cases with women. All of the things that are not kosher in the US, for example, are okay here. Here if you go to a bar men dont leave you alone, don't stop talking to you until they think you would "give up," they would give you bullshit talk constantly etc....and even with older women (not 20 any more :-((( women here are soooo patient with all that bull.....I so miss foreign men...truly....

Go to Gibraltar. Play pool, drink beer, smoke tabs, belch a lot and have a cute English accent. Works for me, I can't keep the little minxes at bay! ;)

Back