Mercado Libre On 12 Month Tourist Visa

torquey

Registered
Hi all.

I've been in BA for 5 weeks and am starting to understand how things work. I am wondering if someone knows how to get a Mercado Libre or Mercado Pago account with no DNI card. My wife just got her DNI card. She's here on a work visa for a year and I am here on a tourist visa for the same. I have found reference to CUIL, CUIT and CDI numbers. Would any of those help me get an account? Are any of these substitutes for the DNI?

I don't truly understand what the DNI is, but I understand that without one you're kind of sunk for a lot of things. I figured I would get Carrofour, COTO and Jumbo discount cards since we like shopping there, but with out a DNI it wasn't possible. That's where the confusion on my part arises. In the US they just give the cards out to anyone. So I am suspecting there are other implications for holding and using those cards that aren't at play in the US.

Anyway, any help getting a Mercado Libre/Pago account would be great. The only Argentinian thing that I have is a +54 cell phone number.

Thanks in advance.

DNI is the national ID card. You need it for just about everything here. As your wife has a DNI, just put everything in her name - Mercado Libre, Mercado Pago, supermarket discount cards, bank account, etc. You can still use them yourself. Just quote her DNI if ever asked. You can download ML, MP to your phone and just use her login. If you're on a tourist visa it's my understanding you can't get a DNI, so using your wife's for the aforementioned purposes is your solution.

That's where the confusion on my part arises. In the US they just give the PREPAID cards out to anyone. So I am suspecting there are other implications for holding and using those cards that aren't at play in the US.

Thanks in advance.
Guess things change from state to state....? Cards to anyone? guess you need a valid address, drivers license , bank reference,,? Please educate me, requirements do change.

Guess things change from state to state....? Cards to anyone? guess you need a valid address, drivers license , bank reference,,? Please educate me, requirements do change.
We were trying to get discount cards for those places. Similar to the attached. But they needed a dni as well. Although, it appears that we the advertised discount even without the cards; Carrefour for example.

Has anyone tried their visa number?

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0356.jpeg
    IMG_0356.jpeg
    798.5 KB · Views: 4
DNI is the national ID card. You need it for just about everything here. As your wife has a DNI, just put everything in her name - Mercado Libre, Mercado Pago, supermarket discount cards, bank account, etc. You can still use them yourself. Just quote her DNI if ever asked. You can download ML, MP to your phone and just use her login. If you're on a tourist visa it's my understanding you can't get a DNI, so using your wife's for the aforementioned purposes is your solution.
Thanks for the information. So would a CUIT, CUIL or CDI help in anyway? I’m not sure if I a, supposed to apply for any cards to ensure I’m paying taxes on the goods I buy, etc. Just want to pay my fair share as well as have access to Libre and Pago. :)

I don't believe you can have a CUIL or a CUIT without having a DNI. I doubt that a CDI will help much, probably most people wouldn't know what it is. I think the CDI is mostly used to purchase property.

I don't believe you can have a CUIL or a CUIT without having a DNI. I doubt that a CDI will help much, probably most people wouldn't know what it is. I think the CDI is mostly used to purchase property.
you can get a CUIT as a foreigner with just a passport. But its only going to help you if you buy property and want to be on the deed. It is not a substitute for a DNI for Mercado libre (which really wants both) or even for getting a bank account. I had a Cuit for years before getting a DNI, you just need to go to your barrio AFIP office and fill out some forms.

you can get a CUIT as a foreigner with just a passport. But its only going to help you if you buy property and want to be on the deed.
I think you mean CDI, not CUIT, right?

Just to add a little more info, I have visited this website (https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/obtener-la-clave-de-identificacion-cdi) a
As they CDI webpage states, it will allow you to open a bank account. Though discussed here sometimes that it is difficult to convince a bank employee this fact. That will get you on the track to some financial life in Argentina. You will be able to transfer money and make payments to people and businesses.

Also there are many web sites that do allow you to use your foreign CC to purchase. Many that use the TiendaNube shopping platform have this option.They might ask for a DNI, or Other, or CDI at purchase.

Back