MercadoLibre identity validation

jantango

Registered
I ran into a problem a few months ago when I tried to buy a quantity of tango LPs for a friend. MercadoLibre would not allow the purchase after years of using my account. They wanted me to prove my identity by using the computer camera to take a photo. No matter what I did, it didn't work. Today they gave me until January 30 to prove that I am who I claim to be. Being unable to use MercadoLibre/Pago means I have to find other sources for organic food. Tallo Verde, El Brote Tienda, and Club Saludable all use MercadoPago. The system doesn't recognize me with white hair as the person in the photo with brown hair on my DNI from 2013.

Has anyone been in the same predicament and found a way out of it? If so, I would appreciate hearing how you solved your problem with Mercado Pago.

The following text is what you receive when you have to validate your identity with Mercado Pago.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need you to validate your identity
Have your ID nearby (?) and locate yourself in a place with good light.

We'll use facial recognition to confirm it's you

You'll need to use your computer's camera and follow the recommendations so we can see your face.
Locate yourself in a well-lit place.
Keep a neutral expression, not smiling.
Avoid wearing glasses and masks.

To comply with current regulations and guarantee the safety of our community, as of January 30 you must have your complete information to be able to use your Mercado Pago account

We recommend that you do it now to have your account ready. It will only take you a few minutes!
1 Open the Mercado Libre or Mercado Pago app.
2 Look for the notification we sent you to complete your data.
3 Follow the steps.

We must verify the information of all our accounts to comply with current national and international regulations. In this way, we also contribute to your safety and that of all the people who use our products.

All your personal information is protected, we do not sell or trade any data that can identify you. Find more information in our privacy policies.

we are transparent
We explain in a simple and clear way the uses we give to your information, how and why we process your data and with whom we can share it.

We generate value
We process your data responsibly to provide you with personalized services. For example, we use your geographic location to offer you services near your location.

We work with quality
We strive to process quality, accurate and up-to-date information. For example, we save your information and update it on all our platforms, your purchases reach you correctly and you save on filling out forms.

We protect your data
We protect your personal information with the highest security standards. We do not sell your data.

We process data for a limited time
We keep your data only for as long as we need it to make it easier for you to use our products. After that they are deleted or transformed into anonymous data.

We appreciate that you choose us and use our services, we want to explain what we do with all the information you share with us.

When you register on any of our platforms you will generate a user that allows you to operate on all the others. We seek to make selling, buying or whatever you want to do quick and easy, for this we integrate your information into all the products that are part of Mercado Libre: Mercado Libre, Mercado Pago, Advertising, Mercado Envíos, Mercado Crédito, Mercado Shops and Mercado Points.

I had a real difficult time with this previously with Banco La Nacion I think? It took an update of the app on their end to fix (or the API with Renaper, eventually it did work) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to take the back of my DNI and my face and had to go back and forth between my Android phone, tablet, and iPhone for awhile.

Some things I'll recommend trying are:

- Using a different PC/Mac, phone, or tablet; it could be the camera
- Using sub-optimal lighting as to make your hair darker
- In App support (you might have to make it a different issue, i.e. say there was a problem with a payment and when you finally get ahold of someone let them know what's happening
- Reaching out via Twitter

Hope you can get it sorted before Monday!

I had a real difficult time with this previously with Banco La Nacion I think? It took an update of the app on their end to fix (or the API with Renaper, eventually it did work) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to take the back of my DNI and my face and had to go back and forth between my Android phone, tablet, and iPhone for awhile.

- In App support (you might have to make it a different issue, i.e. say there was a problem with a payment and when you finally get ahold of someone let them know what's happening

I've also had problems with various of these apps getting them to accept the photos. In one case it took me almost an hour (the particular app kept forcing me to start from the beginning of the process every time I had a failure).

In addition to Quilombo's suggestions, I suggest trying to set up the camera to be as steady as possible (for photographing the DNI, balance the camera between some books so it doesn't move; for your face, get in a position where you can have your elbow firmly on a hard surface, or some other means of avoiding the camera shaking, even a little.

Up to now, I have always been able to eventually get whichever app I'm using to verify me, but I have almost always had to retry various times before they would accept me.

(This would be a good business opportunity, doing this verification once, and providing you with a secure ID to provide to all of the other apps, because this is a real problem.)

Good luck, jan.

I ran into a problem a few months ago when I tried to buy a quantity of tango LPs for a friend. MercadoLibre would not allow the purchase after years of using my account. They wanted me to prove my identity by using the computer camera to take a photo. No matter what I did, it didn't work. Today they gave me until January 30 to prove that I am who I claim to be. Being unable to use MercadoLibre/Pago means I have to find other sources for organic food. Tallo Verde, El Brote Tienda, and Club Saludable all use MercadoPago. The system doesn't recognize me with white hair as the person in the photo with brown hair on my DNI from 2013.

Has anyone been in the same predicament and found a way out of it? If so, I would appreciate hearing how you solved your problem with Mercado Pago.

The following text is what you receive when you have to validate your identity with Mercado Pago.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need you to validate your identity
Have your ID nearby (?) and locate yourself in a place with good light.

We'll use facial recognition to confirm it's you

You'll need to use your computer's camera and follow the recommendations so we can see your face.
Locate yourself in a well-lit place.
Keep a neutral expression, not smiling.
Avoid wearing glasses and masks.

To comply with current regulations and guarantee the safety of our community, as of January 30 you must have your complete information to be able to use your Mercado Pago account

We recommend that you do it now to have your account ready. It will only take you a few minutes!
1 Open the Mercado Libre or Mercado Pago app.
2 Look for the notification we sent you to complete your data.
3 Follow the steps.

We must verify the information of all our accounts to comply with current national and international regulations. In this way, we also contribute to your safety and that of all the people who use our products.

All your personal information is protected, we do not sell or trade any data that can identify you. Find more information in our privacy policies.

we are transparent
We explain in a simple and clear way the uses we give to your information, how and why we process your data and with whom we can share it.

We generate value
We process your data responsibly to provide you with personalized services. For example, we use your geographic location to offer you services near your location.

We work with quality
We strive to process quality, accurate and up-to-date information. For example, we save your information and update it on all our platforms, your purchases reach you correctly and you save on filling out forms.

We protect your data
We protect your personal information with the highest security standards. We do not sell your data.

We process data for a limited time
We keep your data only for as long as we need it to make it easier for you to use our products. After that they are deleted or transformed into anonymous data.

We appreciate that you choose us and use our services, we want to explain what we do with all the information you share with us.

When you register on any of our platforms you will generate a user that allows you to operate on all the others. We seek to make selling, buying or whatever you want to do quick and easy, for this we integrate your information into all the products that are part of Mercado Libre: Mercado Libre, Mercado Pago, Advertising, Mercado Envíos, Mercado Crédito, Mercado Shops and Mercado Points.
I had the same problem. After a while I thought that it was a stunt for Candid Camera. I could imagine them all laughing on the other side. I just gave up and asked an Argentino friend to buy what I needed on my behalf. I gave him the cash and the product arrived the next day.

I closed my account when they first asked for it and let them know how I felt about them.

I closed my account when they first asked for it and let them know how I felt about them.
how did you manage to get a hold of them to tell them how you feel? blocking me from contacting customer service was the first thing they did to me. they pulled the same stunt on me in brazil during the middle of the pandemic, insisted my ID number was invalid, and made quite certain there was no way to get a hold of anyone (i did eventually manage but I can't remember how and it did no good). i was unable to get my hands on some very important items for my family while the stores were closed, and I will never forgive them. I only use their site to find specialty items then look up the name of the seller and order direct. I'm moving to Argentina very soon and it looks like I will be continuing to not use mercadolibre if in any way possible because of this mark-of-the-beast cut you off from buying anything KYC crap.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is never having to use Uber again. They have a monopoly where I currently live in Brazil and love blocking your account and demanding random documents when you're trying to get home from the bar in the rain at 2am. Thank God there's taxis in Buenos Aires.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I have a Fujitsu notebook that is ten years old and an ENACOM tablet (free from the city), but facial recognition didn't work on either one after many attempts.
I even tried the facial recognition wearing a black wig. No luck. Everybody changes after ten years.
I had lengthy written discussions with Mercado Pago personnel and that didn't solve the problem.

It was nice using a debit card to pay for all my food purchases on MercadoLibre and MercadoPago, but now I'll be paying with dirty bills.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who had problems.

how did you manage to get a hold of them to tell them how you feel? blocking me from contacting customer service was the first thing they did to me. they pulled the same stunt on me in brazil during the middle of the pandemic, insisted my ID number was invalid, and made quite certain there was no way to get a hold of anyone (i did eventually manage but I can't remember how and it did no good). i was unable to get my hands on some very important items for my family while the stores were closed, and I will never forgive them. I only use their site to find specialty items then look up the name of the seller and order direct. I'm moving to Argentina very soon and it looks like I will be continuing to not use mercadolibre if in any way possible because of this mark-of-the-beast cut you off from buying anything KYC crap.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is never having to use Uber again. They have a monopoly where I currently live in Brazil and love blocking your account and demanding random documents when you're trying to get home from the bar in the rain at 2am. Thank God there's taxis in Buenos Aires.
Sent email to shareholder relations and, as expected, received non-response.

I have a Fujitsu notebook that is ten years old and an ENACOM tablet (free from the city), but facial recognition didn't work on either one after many attempts.
I even tried the facial recognition wearing a black wig. No luck. Everybody changes after ten years.
I had lengthy written discussions with Mercado Pago personnel and that didn't solve the problem.
Per ML website....using your notebook:
We need photos of your DNI to validate your identity. Upload up to 50 MB per file and in .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format.
Drag or attach a photo of the front and back of your DNI card.

Perhaps it has already been suggested, have you considered getting a new DNI card?

That's what I would do, especially if it meant handling a lot less filthy currency.

Back