Milei Won. He is the new President of Argentina.

You made me laugh! Cristina was equally, if not even more, unqualified for the presidency and she still served two terms. The pendulum will swing back even harder, Milei's presidency will be a failure as the economic and sociocultural systems in Argentina are not set up to build a country to prosperity in the way of, say, Australia. And Milei won't actually change anything that matters structurally about the government and economy, he will probably just end up axing the benefits that help people survive on a day-to-day basis and claim that his way is working.
People will go back to voting for the "safe" option (Peronism) in a few short years, the Milei experiment will be tried and will fail.

I don't think so. Voters are increasingly and inevitably more global and outward looking. Anachronistic Peronism is dead regardless of how they keep trying to dress it up. The Ks only did so well because of the commodities boom of the noughties. Elitist Macri was not the answer. The overwhelming majority win of Milei has shown that people are so sick of the status quo and desperate for change and even though Milei's presidency will most likely not be a storming success his victory will inspire a new type of politics and culture in Argentina. In the US, Europe et al the old school party politics are also crumbling.

Milei himself is obviously homosexual.

Anyway, this surprises me greatly. It looks like he managed to consolidate the mainstream right after all, and will become the weakest president in 20 years, even though his win alone gives him a crazy strong mandate.

I was so wrong about Boric v. Kast resulting in the communist winning again. Damn, what a crazy result. Like, the 11% victory doesn't reflect the scale of the win, which could increase: Milei won 20 states (to Massa's 3) and basically got 90% of the Bullrich vote. Again, I was completely wrong, and it turns out that even though Massa for sure changed their circumstances around, it was only to make a respectable loss vs. total annihilation, when I thought maybe Massa could eke out the win.

Wild.
How do you know about Milei's sexuality? Please inform us. Also, if you are correct, how does this disqualify him?

I expect the worst, there is no way this will turn out well, and I don't say this because I believe this government does things right, but a far-right government has never favored the people who suffer the most. Instead, it will subjugate them even more, and if I am wrong, I will apologize for my mistake. But common sense, plus many years of life and reading, indicate to me that we should expect the worst.

I don't think so. Voters are increasingly and inevitably more global and outward looking. Anachronistic Peronism is dead regardless of how they keep trying to dress it up. The Ks only did so well because of the commodities boom of the noughties. Elitist Macri was not the answer. The overwhelming majority win of Milei has shown that people are so sick of the status quo and desperate for change and even though Milei's presidency will most likely not be a storming success his victory will inspire a new type of politics and culture in Argentina. In the US, Europe et al the old school party politics are also crumbling.
Idk, 44% of the vote is absolutely enormous, and kind of astonishing given the state of the economy. If it were Alberto running, it would have been a slaughter, sure, but Massa really did a respectable showing, and 44% makes it impossible to write off the peronists for now.

I expect the worst, there is no way this will turn out well, and I don't say this because I believe this government does things right, but a far-right government has never favored the people who suffer the most. Instead, it will subjugate them even more, and if I am wrong, I will apologize for my mistake. But common sense, plus many years of life and reading, indicate to me that we should expect the worst.
I don't know, Milei is not a dictator type far right guy, rather, he's an almost bizarrely doctrinaire ultra libertarian, who wants to slice the state to the bone. In the unique context of Argentina, this is probably 99% the right way to go, and the real worry is that he's a complete novice, with no congressional majority, zero institutional or bureaucratic support, and a severe inclination to completely unsophisticated policies. Like, it's not that an ultra right wing guy is wrong, it's that it might not work.

Last edited:
I do not equate libertarianism with 'far right'. The current authoritarian government limits personal freedom by making an increasinghly poor and desperate people dependent on handouts instead of adopting measures that would expand and stabilise the economy and afford people more opportunity.

Idk, 44% of the vote is absolutely enormous, and kind of astonishing given the state of the economy. If it were Alberto running, it would have been a slaughter, sure, but Massa really did a respectable showing, and 44% makes it impossible to write off the peronists for now.

That 44% are mostly the older generations and state workers but that base will shrink with time.

Last edited:
I do not equate libertarianism with 'far right'.

You don't, but most everyone else does. Good luck with your predictions.... Was it you who predicted there would be fraud cries from the Massa camp, and challenged me to a bet? I don't remember now, I can go back and check.

You don't, but most everyone else does. Good luck with your predictions.... Was it you who predicted there would be fraud cries from the Massa camp, and challenged me to a bet? I don't remember now, I can go back and check.
Many people think that way because the media have brainwashed them to think that way however the reality of their lives told them otherwise as we see in the vote. No, I did not predict election fraud. If there was fraud the number who voted for Milei is even higher than reported.

Back