Military Coup/Dictatorship; Could it happen again?

Gringoboy said:
Highly unlikely.
The military throat was cut in 1982 and never stitched up.
The patient never recovered, thankfully.

I know the British like to feel they brought democracy back to Argentina. But this is not true. The Malvinas conflict just postponed what was going to happen anyways. In a sense, the Junta was successfull in getting support for a few months more and distracting people from the problems they were facing.
The military was still strong up to the late 80's, before being dismantled by Menem and the Kirchners.

Amargo said:
I know the British like to feel they brought democracy back to Argentina. But this is not true. The Malvinas conflict just postponed what was going to happen anyways. In a sense, the Junta was successfull in getting support for a few months more and distracting people from the problems they were facing.
The military was still strong up to the late 80's, before being dismantled by Menem and the Kirchners.

I had never heard that the British felt that way. I've never even seen anyone post something like that, although I could have missed it. The only thing I'd heard in relation to that was that the conflict was brought on by the junta trying to shore up failing support for their rule of Argentina...

Amargo said:

What bollocks you talk!
Britain was well aware of the EVIL it was up against when sending the task force, but understand that the conflict was limited to and only to, the liberation of the Falkland Islands.
I don't believe that any British Govt since, has ever laid claim to having liberated the Argentine people from the yoke of tyrrany.
Most people believe that democracy (after 1982), became an evolution. A natural evolution, if you like.

Gringoboy said:
Britain was well aware of the EVIL it was up against when sending the task force

Yeah Yeah Yeah...nice talking.

Many Brits would like to believe that Argentines should thank them for defeating their Army in 1982.
This is only a sample.

Probably you just wrote the wrong year and were referring to 1983?

Back